Solved

How to use Transactional Data?

• 10 February 2022
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • QPN Level 4 ●●●●
  • 216 replies

In the weekly release notes, I saw it is now possible to manually upload transactions, and send distributions to transaction groups. That's really helpful :)
But I am now wondering, can I pipe transactional data into an email? If yes, how?
For example, I upload a transaction "shop visit" with a tranactional data field "shop name". In the email distribution I'd like to say "thank you for your visit to [shop name]". In the "insert pipe text" menu in the email, I can only find add contact data and add embedded data. And in the add embedded data you need to type the data instead of choosing one, and then it becomes ${e://Field/ShopName} so I doubt that this is the correct format to refer to a transaction field as it starts with e://

And then further, also in the Dashboard the transactional data should be available,
so therefore it needs to be present in the Embedded Data of the Survey.
But also in the Embedded Data in the survey flow, I can't find how to fetch and store the transactional data.

icon

Best answer by JoycaV 14 February 2022, 17:26

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

after a bit of testing, just typing in the litteral name of the transactional data field, so it is ${e://Field/TransactionFieldTest}, does apparently seem to work.
Also on the survey flow, just typing in the litteral name of the field, seems to do the trick.
I had hoped to be able to select these fields via a dropdown like we can often do with the Embedded Data. Or a function on the Survey Flow like the "add from contacts" but then "add from transaction batch". Just to avoid typing the fields, as that leads ever-so-often to typing errors.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi JoycaV !

Thank you for sharing. So, does transaccional data work similar to Embedded data?
I am trying to setup on the survey flow but it does not work.

Could you help me please? thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi Alea
Yes, they do work similar to Embedded data.
Here's the log of my test:
I uploaded a transaction list.
One transaction in there is for Alice, and she has TransactionFieldTest with value C:
image.pngThen, I made a distribution to this Transaction Batch,
within the email I added this TransactionFieldTest.
image.png
This mail was sent to Alice,
and the value C comes through correctly:

image.png
I also added the field in the survey embedded data:
image.pngand also in the survey data, I can see the value C:
image.png

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

JoycaV

First of all millions of thanks for your time and this valuable information. I'll check what I did wrong.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I´ve followed all the step but in my case it doesn´t work...

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/44591#Comment_44591Then I suggest you contact Qualtrics support, they can look into your system to find out what's going wrong.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

JoycaV

Can you explain how did you do the distribution to the Transaction Batch that you made? I think I have a problem there, because normally I go to the survey and I select the contact and for that reason it doesn´t work. Thanks in advance!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

JoycaV I have found my error. When you go to distributions and you have to select your group of people to whom you want to send, you must select all the transactional groups and not the list of contacts that was created. And that's why it didn't work for me.
43094011-660e-4896-907f-5de5fb776fad.jpeg

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/44740#Comment_44740Great to hear that it was solved :)

Badge +7

Hi @JoycaV,

great thread, it helped us a lot already. Nonetheless, I still have a question about your solution:

Did you import your transactional data as [Transaction information] or as [Embedded data] in the respective UI? (Did you use the UI? There’s also an API endpoint for this...)

We can (manually) pipe transactional data into distribution e-mails or surveys only if we choose [Embedded data]. Since we cannot rule out many and frequent transactions for certain contacts, this is potentially problematic (for two reasons: contact-level ED might be overwritten in the meantime so that the text piped in migth change from the invite e-mail to the survey session; further, there is a limit of 100 ED fields per contact).

To state it explicity: When we save the field “TransactionDescription” as [Transaction information], we can’t (at the moment) pipe it in anywhere, not even with the manual process you described.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi @cpschroeder 

I mapped my data as transactional data. (I used the UI, not the API)

It doesn’t matter if the field is embedded data or transactional data. They can all be used as piped texts within emails, surveys, etc.

What is important though, that in order for the “match” to work, is that your distribution is sent to the transaction group, like Alea explained before. Otherwise the survey cannot know from which transaction it needs to fetch the value for that field. 

Badge +7

Hi @cpschroeder 

I mapped my data as transactional data. (I used the UI, not the API)

It doesn’t matter if the field is embedded data or transactional data. They can all be used as piped texts within emails, surveys, etc.

What is important though, that in order for the “match” to work, is that your distribution is sent to the transaction group, like Alea explained before. Otherwise the survey cannot know from which transaction it needs to fetch the value for that field. 

Ahh, thanks a lot. I looked at that again really closely and only then realized that distributing directly out of the directory seems to be the only way to do this at the moment (whereas distributing out of the survey, which we are usually doing, does not allow choosing a transaction group).

Leave a Reply