Freezing Side-by-Side to reduce horizontal scrolling | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hi Qualtrics Community,
I would like to freeze/fix the first column of a side-by-side question for ease of participant response on mobile devices. The side-by-side item is required as opposed to another question type (e.g., drop-downs) to help minimize overall survey length.
Do you know of any code to help accomplish this goal? I am not familiar with coding but used a previously-listed CSS to solve another survey design issue; so, if there are options besides CSS that may require a bit more user knowledge, I would be grateful if you also articulate where to enter such code (i.e., where in the program or if I may enter it in the question field specifically).
Thank you, in advance!
Best,
Elisa

Add this CSS to your question text:

Demo here. You can change the

background-color
to your desired colour .

ahmedA, thank you! I was able to adjust the colors and make this exactly what I needed. Much appreciated!

Hello -- this sticky command did not work for me. Any idea why?

Hi Jane,

This is what I used the sticky command for. I played with the color options. I've found sticky code can also vary by item type...
Hopefully ahmedA sees your question; he is incredibly helpful. Just thinking that there may be a slight variation in the code necessary for the item type you are using. I am just responding here so that someone may better answer your question by narrowing the item type...
image.png

Hello, ahmedA
I would like to freeze both my first column and also my first row to get a sort of freeze panes effect. I have posted my question here -- https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/16548/freeze-first-column-and-first-row-for-side-by-side-questions-for-better-scrolling#latest
Can you please see and help if possible?
Thanks,

Leave a Reply