How to ignore a block in a randomization if the previous question does not meet the condition? | XM Community
Solved

How to ignore a block in a randomization if the previous question does not meet the condition?

• 23 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi,
I need some help to build my questionnaire on qualtrics :)
I carry out a survey in which I first ask the participants to indicate their level of knowledge of a series of 9 brands (in a matrix, 7 point likert scale from Excellent knowledge to no knowledge).
Then the participants are asked to evaluate the brands they know (4/7 likert scale) randomly. That is to say that each brand = a block and that I used randomization so that the brands are distributed randomly. I added to each brand block a display logic which makes that if they don't know the brand well enough the block is not displayed (the randomization should not take it into account). 
However this technique does not work.
Do you know how to do it? 
How to ignore a block in a randomization if the previous question does not meet the condition?
Thanks a lot for your help!

icon

Best answer by Kate 23 April 2021, 19:49

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Is there a reason you need this to be done via blocks? You might, so correct me and add more detail if it's needed but... my gut would be to build a question that is a matrix table with the brands...
image.pngThen use the carry forward function to add a new question/matrix table to rate things about each brand...
image.png
image.png

Hi,
Thanks a lot for your answer !
Yes I did the same matrix table first (it is in french, but the same idea as your first table)

Capture d’écran 2021-04-25 à 12.38.50.pngThen I want respondents to answer a serie of statement ONLY about the brands they know. For that, I want the randomization system to show them the blocks of statements on 2 brands they know at random. (I didn't know about the "carry forward function" I will try it. I used instead the "display logic").

Capture d’écran 2021-04-25 à 12.42.08.pngI did block of statements for each brands so that I can know after on the results which brand they have evaluated.
Capture d’écran 2021-04-25 à 12.46.39.pngThe problem is that the randomization with the display condition does not work every time. for example when respondents know only two brands, the system does not work and no block appears. But I would like them to evaluate both brands or only 1 if they know only one.
I hope it is clearer.
Thanks again for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Looks to me like you would benefit from using the Loop and Merge function, instead:
https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/block-options/loop-and-merge/

And ensure you turn on the loop randomization:
https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/block-options/loop-and-merge/#RandomizingLoopOrder

Leave a Reply