👻 Spooky Season | Badge of the Month | October 2023 | XM Community

👻 Spooky Season | Badge of the Month | October 2023

• 2 October 2023
  • 75 replies
👻 Spooky Season | Badge of the Month | October 2023
Badge +48

BADGE OF THE MONTH

Spooky Season | October 2023

During the first week of each month, we will post a new question, topic, or activity for you to connect with the community and earn a badge. All community members who join our team and contribute a thoughtful comment to this month’s discussion, between October 2 and October 31, will receive this badge worth 50 points by the end of the month. 

Task: Answer any of these questions...

• What’s your favorite spooky movie or TV show that you watched in 2023?
  • What’s your favorite spooky book that you read in 2023? 
  • What’s your favorite spooky activity that you’ve done / will do 2023?
  • What’s your favorite spooky song or podcast that you listened to in 2023?

It’s officially spooky season here in North America! Our team loves all things spooky and scary! Do you like a good scare? Maybe, you like to read Agatha Christie books and watch terrifying movies. Or, maybe you’re not into scary things, but you love a good pumpkin spice latte and pumpkin picking. We want to learn all about your favorite spooky movies, tv shows, books, songs, and activities that you have enjoyed in 2023!

This topic has been closed for comments

75 replies

Badge +48

👻 I love spooky season! 👻

My favorite spooky activity is to carve pumpkins and watch scary movies in the fall! I also love decorating my home!

I listen to true crime podcasts year-round 😂. One of the many true crime podcasts I listen to and recommend is The Generation Why Podcast, a Wondery podcast that reviews controversial cases. 

And, I recently watched Talk to Me, an A24 horror film about possession. Be warned - it was truly terrifying!

Userlevel 6
Badge +37

My favourite activity is to be disguised and walk in the streets for Halloween night.

I hope I’ll have a few more opportunity to go trick-or-treating but time is achieving as my younger has reached 12 years old.

Children are growing up so fast…

But now they are older, I can convince them to participate to more spooky activities like horrific escape games or the “Zombie Apocalypes” race (an obstacle course by night with zombies trying to catch participants...

Userlevel 5
Badge +22

I love this time of year! Something my family and I will do to celebrate the spooky season will be to go to Disneyland’s Oogie Boogie Bash. My wife and I went last year to see how it was, and we were blown away with how fun it was! They close the park down and let you trick or treat with lots of Disney villains, all while being able to go on the rides with reduced wait times and enjoy everything else there is to offer! We’ll take our two children this time around and are excited for my daughter to experience trick or treating for the first time! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +22

My kids are 3 and 4 years old, so are just starting to LOVE all things spooky and Halloween.  Of course, trick-or-treating is something they are very much looking forward to, but we’ve been watching some Halloween movies to get in the spooky spirit (we started early in September hahaha).  Hocus Pocus will forever top my list of classics, but they were introduced to some other Disney “classics” like Halloweentown.   

We also have an amazing Apple Orchard/Pumpkin patch near us that we play at often.  Their favorite activity is the corn pit, a giant container filled with corn instead of water they can play in.  The fall season is the best!

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

I LOVE this time of year!  I’ve watched the new Interview with the Vampire series on AMC and just finished What We Do in the Shadows (the original movie is also a good watch).  I got into reading Stephen King because my sister told me not to (that he was too scary) and have been reading his books like crazy.  Just picked up the new release Holly at the library on campus.  Off the top of my head my current Stephen King book ranking is:

1. The Green Mile
  2. Pet Sematary
  3. IT
  4. Fairy Tale
  5. If It Bleeds - Mr. Harrington’s Phone
  6. Eyes of the Dragon
  7. ‘Salem’s Lot
Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Halloween is my favorite holiday. Not only is it PSL (pumpkin spice latte) season but also because I love going to haunted houses! I find myself laughing, while everyone else in the group is scared.

I also just started watching the new season of American Horror Story. They haven’t had a good season in a while, and I’m not sure how I feel about the current season yet. I’m giving it a try though because my favorite character Logan Huntzberger from Gilmore Girls (another great Fall show) is in it. I’m convinced no season of AHS can beat the first season though.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hello all,

Answering this question “What’s your favorite spooky movie or TV show that you watched in 2023?”

American Horror Story

• Usually, when it comes to horror movies and shows, I find myself watching solo since my partner tends to have trouble sleeping afterward. However, there's a delightful exception to this rule – the American Horror Story (AHS) series. What sets AHS apart for both of us is its unique format.

• One of the aspects we love is that each season brings a brand-new plot, characters, and story, making it fresh and exciting every time. Even more intriguing, some of our favorite actors make a return appearance in each season, albeit in completely different roles, showcasing their incredible versatility.

• Another bonus is that AHS manages to wrap up its storyline neatly by the end of each season, which is a binge-watcher's dream. So, if you're contemplating which seasons to dive into, I'd wholeheartedly recommend the following: Season 1 - Murder House, Season 3 - Coven, Season 5 - Hotel, and if you want a mind-bending experience, Season 8 - Apocalypse (but watch this one after Season 3, Coven, for maximum enjoyment)

FROM

• FROM is a captivating series that has piqued my interest. Since it airs exclusively on the Paramount Network, I've resorted to streaming it through IPTV. The show delves into the mysterious tale of a tightly-knit community, some of whom have been trapped within this same town since childhood and are now grown adults. Their predicament? There's simply no way out; the road that leads away from town circles them back to the very beginning.
  • To make matters even more spine-tingling, the town is plagued by nightmarish creatures that relentlessly attack them after dark. Despite the constant threat, the survivors are determined to maintain a semblance of normalcy in their lives. But each night, they're forced to secure every door and window, or else risk becoming prey to these malevolent entities

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Halloween is my favorite holiday. Not only is it PSL (pumpkin spice latte) season but also because I love going to haunted houses! I find myself laughing, while everyone else in the group is scared.

I also just started watching the new season of American Horror Story. They haven’t had a good season in a while, and I’m not sure how I feel about the current season yet. I’m giving it a try though because my favorite character Logan Huntzberger from Gilmore Girls (another great Fall show) is in it. I’m convinced no season of AHS can beat the first season though.

Season 1 definitely set a very high bar, I was disappointed in season 2 at the asylum but thoroughly enjoyed season 3 (covern) season 5 (hotel- where I felt Lady Gaga did an amazing job) and season 8 Apocalypse really wrapped up the witches storyline. Overall amazing performances when Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters and Jessica Lange are present.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I personally am a huge fan of pumpkin spice and pumpkin pies, so I tend to love this time of year! My favorite movie to watch during spooky seasons is Coraline, I love the story and the animation.

I want to get into scary books, so if anyone has any recommendations for an intro into spooky or scary books please let me know! 🎃

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Season 1 definitely set a very high bar, I was disappointed in season 2 at the asylum but thoroughly enjoyed season 3 (covern) season 5 (hotel- where I felt Lady Gaga did an amazing job) and season 8 Apocalypse really wrapped up the witches storyline. Overall amazing performances when Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters and Jessica Lange are present.

I definitely agree-- a lot of amazing actors for sure! Asylum seemed to have great potential, but there were too many storylines happening at once that didn’t seem to get any explanation/resolution. The vibes in Coven were pretty great, and I actually really liked Freakshow as well. 

I never made it to season 8 though. I gave up after Hotel, but now that you say Apocalypse is good, I might have to go back and watch that one when I get a chance!

Userlevel 6
Badge +52

The best spooky tv show that I have watched is Sabrina on Netflix :)

Badge +48

@gdyczyak I LOVE FROM AND AHS! I recently discovered the same people that made the show Lost made From, (which explains the never ending twists and turns). 

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

I love the 80´s spooky energy  and thats why I love Tim Burton’s Beetlejuice. This was my first aproach to deep dive in Burton’s fantastic work.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

My favorite movies are Hocus pocus and Monster house (I re-watch them every year this season) and my favorite song is This is Halloween.🎃

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

My list of spooky movies includes but not limited to IT, incidious chapters, Conjuring, Annabelle and zombie movies. :) 

Userlevel 6
Badge +23

My favourite part of Halloween is…. once it’s over it’s almost time for Christmas and the decorations that start to appear for that 😆. 

Being Australian, it isn’t something that resonates with me or I grew up with; however I have enjoyed visiting America during Halloween.  You’ll just see me appreciating the decorations from afar - not going to let anyone jump up behind from behind something to give me a fright 🙅

Userlevel 5
Badge +24

I’m not a big movie watcher these days...I much prefer to sit by the fire and read a good spooky book this time of year.  Jonathan Stroud’s “Lockwood & Co.” series fits the bill perfectly for me.  Suspenseful, “plot-ful”, and clever but without an overdose of blood and guts. Think “Ghostbusters” set in England, run by life hardened teenagers and wonderfully written!  

This series will help prepare you for Jonathan Stroud’s masterpieces “The Bartimaeus Trilogy”...all of these are truly amazing Halloween reads! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +19

This is such an interesting thread to read! Here in Australia we don’t really celebrate Halloween, or at least we never did when I was a kid. These days it’s becoming increasingly popular though for kids.

I’m excited to take my 1yr old son to a local Halloween parade that is happening at the end of the month. I am hoping if we go before it gets dark, it won’t be too spooky for him (or me!)

Userlevel 4
Badge +22

It's an interesting topic for Halloween.

The most memorable spooky movie is Casper's Haunted Christmas.

It's a very old animated movie, and it reminds me of Halloween season the most. Is it too obvious that I'm old?

I’ve got to watch this with my boys, 6 and 9 years old, this month.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

I love to listen to podcasts that are spooky. Let me share one of the videos for a real life spooky story. 

This one goes through a lot of spooky stories across India and is shared by a paranormal investigator.

Userlevel 6
Badge +28

I love to listen to podcasts that are spooky. Let me share one of the videos for a real life spooky story. 

This one goes through a lot of spooky stories across India and is shared by a paranormal investigator.

I watched this and it was honestly very scary and there are few more podcasts of this guy.

Userlevel 6
Badge +28

It's been a year since we moved to our new house and this year, we are planning to celebrate Halloween for kids.

I believe it's fun for kids being dressed up in a spooky way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +33

I watched recently web series The Haunting of Bly Manor and horror move Evil Dead Rise. Really enjoyed. But no one can beat most horrible hindi Bollywood movie Vivah. I watched that movie long time back, I think in year 2006 or 2007 with my family and left it in between. 😬

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

I have 8 year old and 14 year old daughters, and both are big fan of horror movies. So far we have seen all of Conjuring, Annabelle, The Nun, Sabrina and many more series.

They enjoyed Wednesday series on Netflix and awaiting for the next season. :)

Apart from Cricket World Cup (not a spooky activity tho... )… May be we will re-watch one of those series again in this Halloween month.

Userlevel 5
Badge +30

I have 8 year old and 14 year old daughters, and both are big fan of horror movies. So far we have seen all of Conjuring, Annabelle, The Nun, Sabrina and many more series.

They enjoyed Wednesday series on Netflix and awaiting for the next season. :)

Apart from Cricket World Cup (not a spooky activity tho... )… May be we will re-watch one of those series again in this Halloween month.

We also enjoyed Wednesday as a family!