Enable deselection of choice in matrix | XM Community
Skip to main content

I have a matrix with the “Others” option with text entry enabled. How do I enable my respondents to deselect the “Others” option if they have made a mistake?

Saw a previous forum post with the suggestion of making matrix multi answer and check "Make answer exclusive" for all the scale points.

However, I do not know how to make answer exclusive for scale points, I can only do so for statement points. 

Hi @NicoleT 

You can just click on the option to see the below list and then you can select the option to make answer exclusive

Hi Kumar, thanks for your response! However, I do not wish to make the answer exclusive. I want to enable other statements to be chosen even as the “Others” statement is chosen. Is there any solution for that?

Hi 

You can enable “Allow Multiple answer” for this question in the answer type.

Thanks Krbhavya, is there anyway I can make it such that only 1 scale option can be chosen for each statement? Because this might mess up my data in the sense that respondents choose multiple options for 1 statement.

Hi @NicoleT,

Can you share a snapshot of the question setup that you are trying?

It would be good to have a look and see if there is anything else that can be suggested.

Hi @NicoleT,

Following up on my previous comment,

I suppose that you would need to enable “Allow multiple answers” of the matrix question first so that you get the option to make the scale points exclusive.

Post this you can make all the statements exclusive.

This JS will allow respondents to deselect radio buttons in a likert matrix:

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function() {
qobj = this;
jQuery(qobj.questionContainer).find("input[type=radio]").click(function() {
var [qr, qid, cid, aid] = this.id.split("~");
if(qobj.getSelectedAnswerValue(cid)==aid) qobj.setChoiceAnswerValue(cid,aid,false);
});
});

Thanks to Sowrabh1993 and TomG for the replies. 

The code from Tom worked perfectly!

However, now I want to “force response” from all statements except for “others” statement. Is there any way to make that possible? If not, my survey cannot go forward unless the “others” statement has been chosen.

I do not wish to disable “forced response” as I do want responses from all other statements before the survey can proceed.

However, now I want to “force response” from all statements except for “others” statement. Is there any way to make that possible? If not, my survey cannot go forward unless the “others” statement has been chosen.

I do not wish to disable “forced response” as I do want responses from all other statements before the survey can proceed.

You can use custom validation. The recodes of the non-Other statements should not be empty.

Thank you for your help TomG! That worked perfectly!

Hi

This JS will allow respondents to deselect radio buttons in a likert matrix:

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function() {
qobj = this;
jQuery(qobj.questionContainer).find("input[type=radio]").click(function() {
var [qr, qid, cid, aid] = this.id.split("~");
if(qobj.getSelectedAnswerValue(cid)==aid) qobj.setChoiceAnswerValue(cid,aid,false);
});
});

Hi @TomG 

In case we have a side by side question then how can we make the above code work for deselecting the radio buttons?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Leave a Reply