Javascript: Instead of automatically clicking next, how to code it to go to a certain question? | XM Community
Skip to main content
Dear friends,

My friend wrote me some really nice code! I asked him to write some javascript code to create a timed test. They start a block of a 100 questions, but when it starts it starts a countdown. When the countdown reaches 0 the script automatically skips to the next question. This happens for all the questions that see that the timer stands at zero. However, with a 100 questions it goes through all the questions so quickly, it looks like it survey is crashing.

Is there a way to adjust this code to skip to a certain question instead if the timer reaches 0? Currently, it reads the script and goes to the next question in line, which then does the same. Is there a way to instead instruct Qualtrics to skip everything and go to my "Post-measure" question?

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function()

{

function startTimer(duration, display) {

if (--timer < 0) {

clearInterval(myTimer);

timeOver();

}

}

var timerSeconds = parseInt("${e://Field/timeRemaining}");

display = document.querySelector('#time');

if (timerSeconds > 0) {

startTimer(timerSeconds, display);

}

var timeOver = function () {

document.getElementById("timer_1").innerHTML = "Time is up.";

$('NextButton').click();

x = 1;

var bgColor = setInterval(change, 1000);

}

});

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnReady(function()

{

/*Voer uw JavaScript hier uit wanneer de pagina volledig wordt weergegeven*/

if (timerSeconds === 0) {

$('NextButton').click();

}

});

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnUnload(function()

{

/*Voer uw JavaScript hier uit wanneer de pagina nog niet geladen is*/

});
Add display logic to all the questions to only display if timeRemaining is > 0 (BTW, I think there is a flaw in the JS because I don't see where timeRemaining is being updated).
Thanks a lot Tom!

When I test run it, it does seem to automatically initiate "click next button" command after time runs out. The time remaining is instead set in survey flow. I think that is how it works?

So you would change the last part like this? Sorry, I'm really new to coding! (this is something I found on the web)

Display Logic: Show only if timeRemaining > 0];

}
Hello @Yuri ,

Set an embedded data 'flag=1' from the JS once the timer reaches 0.

Using this embedded data add display logic on each question as display question if flag=0
> @Yuri said:

> Thanks a lot Tom!

>

> When I test run it, it does seem to automatically initiate "click next button" command after time runs out. The time remaining is instead set in survey flow. I think that is how it works?

>

> So you would change the last part like this? Sorry, I'm really new to coding! (this is something I found on the web)

>

> var timerSeconds = parseInt("${e://Field/timeRemaining}");

> Display Logic: Show only if timeRemaining > 0];

> }

You add display logic to the Qualtrics questions, not the JavaScript. Once that is done, you can remove the addOnReady function from the script.
It worked! Also without removing the addOnReady! Thank you sooooo much. I've been working on this for soo long. I can't believe it's finally working!

Leave a Reply