Make a combination of options / choices exclusive together | XM Community
Skip to main content

I have a multiple answer question where respondents can select several reasons why they like a restaurant

e.g. Which statements would you use to describe Restaurant A? [ma]

1. good food

2. good ambience

3. just like any other restaurant

4. I would not consider eating there again

If respondent select option 3, they
  • CANNOT select options 1 and 2

• CAN still select option 4

Is it possible to do this?

You can assign 1, 2, and 3 to a group, then set the group to "Single Answer Within Group".

Hi Tom,
Thanks for your help! However, what if i want participants to be able to select 1 and 2 (multiple answer)?

i.e. If respondent selects option 1

• Can select option 2 also

• Cannot select options 3 and 4

but if respondent selects option 3
  • Cannot select options 1 and 2

• Can select option 4 also

I was thinking I could put options 3 and 4 in a group but is there a way to make a choice group exclusive?

https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/comment/32652#Comment_32652There is not a way to make a choice group exclusive with Qualtrics settings. You can only make choices within a group single select or individual choices exclusive with "Make Exclusive".
You could enforce the rules you want with JavaScript.

I have a multiple answer question where respondents can select several reasons why they like a restaurant

e.g. Which statements would you use to describe Mexican restaurants with tamales? [ma]

1. good food
  2. good ambience
  3. just like any other restaurant
  4. I would not consider eating there again

If respondent select option 3, they

• CANNOT select options 1 and 2
  • CAN still select option 4

Is it possible to do this?

Yeah I think it is possible.

it is possible through JS only.

• you can disable option 3 and 4 checkbox if option 1 or 2 is selected.
  • you can disable option 1 and 2 checkbox in option 3 or 4 is selected.

use click() event for 1 or 2 checkboxes and set the prop("disabled",true) for 3 and 4. Same thing for 3 and 4. Make sure to don’t forget to set the prop("disabled",false) if checkboxes are unchecked.

@Migueclldham - Not sure why you are responding to a 2 year old thread.

Anyway, I don’t think disabling choices is a good solution because you wouldn’t be able to change answers.

For anyone that is interested, the choiceGroupAnchorExclusive function does this without disabling choices.

Leave a Reply