Randomization of blocks with specifications | XM Community
Question

Randomization of blocks with specifications

• 26 February 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge

I have 24 blocks created. For the project, they are “grouped” into four groups (but not grouped in Qualtrics in any way currently):

• A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, A6
  • B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B6
  • C7, C8, C9, C10, C11, C12
  • D7, D8, D9, D10, D11, D12

I want 12 blocks to be randomly show to participants, following the below specifications:

• No number can repeat (if participants see A1, they can’t see B1)
  • The 12 blocks shown must be a combination of 3 blocks from each of the above groups (E.g., A1, A2, A3, B4, B5, B6, C7, C8, C9, D10, D11, D12)
  • Within the randomization, no more than three of the blocks containing numbers 1-6 can be shown in a row, and no more than three blocks containing numbers 7-12 can be shown in a row.
  • Within the randomization, no more than three As and/or Cs can be in a row, and the no more than three Bs and/or Ds can be in a row.

Is this possible on Qualtrics?

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @mwilson2 LONG MESSAGE ALERT!!!!

STEP 1 : Create 24 blocks A1, A2, …, D12 with required questions in it.

STEP 2 : In your survey flow, create 4 groups A,B,C,D and each will have various branch logics and randomizer in it. Currently this is for the first group A, please refer below images.

Inside your group A, add a randomizer with value as 3 (so basically below down each group will have randomizer with 3 values to be picked up which equals to 12) which will pick up any of the 3 random blocks from A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, A6 and also created respective embedded data with every block which will act as a marker in the future and prevent the repetition of showing same number of block - as per your use case i.e., if A1 is displayed do not show B1.

STEP 3: For Group B, we will repeat the same process as in the step 2 but add an extra branch display logic to prevent the display of repeated ‘number’ of block .

STEP 4: Repeat the step 2 and step 3 for groups C and D. Please refer below images.

END!

NOTE: The provided setup will maintain the following things:-

1. No number can repeat (if participants see A1, they can’t see B1)
  2. The 12 blocks shown must be a combination of 3 blocks from each of the above groups (E.g., A1, A2, A3, B4, B5, B6, C7, C8, C9, D10, D11, D12)
  3. Within the randomization, no more than three of the blocks containing numbers 1-6 can be shown in a row, and no more than three blocks containing numbers 7-12 can be shown in a row.
  4. Within the randomization, no more than three As and/or Cs can be in a row, and the no more than three Bs and/or Ds can be in a row.

The order will always be maintained i.e., Group A will be shown first, then B, then C, and then D.

I think this might be possible with Javascript and it will be a much short setup. But I am not expert in it so with Qualtrics this is the way possible. 

Leave a Reply