Text iQ, multiple open text fields | XM Community
Solved

Text iQ, multiple open text fields

• 20 March 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

We have an NPS question followed by 1 of 2 free text questions - if they give us a promoter nps they see an open text called “What is the primary rating behind your rating,” if they rate as nps passives or detractors then the get the question “What can we do to improve?” I have them each represented in seperate widgets, as shown below, as you can only select 1 question text iq per widget. Well since the questions are displayed as promoters it’s clear that most of the comments are going to have a positive sentiment, and the opposite is true. I’m wanting to find a way to pull these 2 widgets together as I ran the same topics on each question, that way we could see a more wholistic view. I haven’t been able to find a way to do this within Qualtrics but I’m wondering if anyone has any out of the box solutions.

icon

Best answer by Umang Upadhyay 20 March 2024, 23:03

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hi @kgillis,

To consolidate the responses from the two separate free text questions based on the NPS rating in Qualtrics, you can utilize JavaScript to dynamically display the relevant question based on the respondent's NPS score, and then store their responses in the same place. Here's a general approach you can take:

1. Instead of using two separate free text questions, create a single free text question that will dynamically change based on the respondent's NPS score.

2. Write JavaScript code to show/hide the appropriate text question based on the NPS score. You can use the Qualtrics JavaScript API to achieve this. Here's a simplified example:

```javascript
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function() {
    var npsQuestionId = 'QID1'; // Replace with the ID of your NPS question
    var primaryRatingQuestionId = 'QID2'; // Replace with the ID of the "Primary Rating" question
    var improveQuestionId = 'QID3'; // Replace with the ID of the "What can we do to improve?" question

var npsScore = parseInt("${q://QID1/SelectedChoicesNumeric/1}"); // Get the NPS score

// Hide both free text questions initially
    hideQuestion(primaryRatingQuestionId);
    hideQuestion(improveQuestionId);

// Show the appropriate free text question based on the NPS score
    if (npsScore >= 9) {
        showQuestion(primaryRatingQuestionId);
    } else {
        showQuestion(improveQuestionId);
    }

// Function to show a question
    function showQuestion(questionId) {
        this.getQuestionContainer(questionId).style.display = 'block';
    }

// Function to hide a question
    function hideQuestion(questionId) {
        this.getQuestionContainer(questionId).style.display = 'none';
    }
});
```

Collect Responses in the Same Place: Since you're using a single free text question, all responses will be collected in the same place. You can analyze them together to get a holistic view of the feedback.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

If you don't want to go the JS route you have two options, one for existing responses and one for the future. 

For existing responses, in the data and analysis tab, use the field editor to create a new field that combines  both the questions into one. You can use this new field in the dashboard.

For future responses, instead of two questions, have only one question, and use branch logic to define what that question text will be. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

@ahmedA if I go the route of making a new field with field editor will the data now be in the newly created field AND still remain in the 2 individual fields as they are now, or is it just one or the other? Thanks for the tip about using branch logic to show the 2 different question texts, definitely going to use that going forward.

Leave a Reply