Calculated Metric/Index in EX with Average | XM Community
Skip to main content
Solved

Calculated Metric/Index in EX with Average

• 17 July 2024
  • 2 replies

I’d like to create an “index” in my EX Engagement survey program where I have an average of 5 of my survey questions (averaging the recode values). Since Engagement surveys do not have the Scoring feature and dashboards do not have custom metrics, is there any other simple way to do this? EX dashboards can do average metrics already based on the survey question recode, but I’m not seeing a way to combine multiple fields into one for an average index.

Right now the only option I see is using the survey flow to calculate the average of these 5 questions. This requires 1) using several branching logic sets to identify how many of the 5 questions the user answered, and 2) created a calculated embedded data field to sum up the 5 questions and divide by the number of answered questions identified in part 1.

Is there really no easier way to do this using existing tools? I looked at the custom field > formula field in data & analysis, but I don’t think that would work due to needing to take into account how many of the questions the user answered, rather than just dividing by 5 every time.

2 replies

Badge +1

The easiest way is to use the category feature in the dashboard settings. You can aggregate the 5 questions into a category and then use the category as a new metric » https://www.qualtrics.com/support/employee-experience/creating-ee-project/dashboards-tab/dashboard-management/dashboard-settings/categories-ee/

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

The easiest way is to use the category feature in the dashboard settings. You can aggregate the 5 questions into a category and then use the category as a new metric » https://www.qualtrics.com/support/employee-experience/creating-ee-project/dashboards-tab/dashboard-management/dashboard-settings/categories-ee/

I think this gets me there, thank you!!

Leave a Reply