How to analyze a survey with 2 groups; manipulation and control | XM Community

How to analyze a survey with 2 groups; manipulation and control

• 11 May 2022
  • 1 reply

Hi everyone,

I created a survey, where half of the respondents got to see a specific message, and the other half got to see another one. The questions following after this message were the same for everyone, only the message was manipulated for the two groups. Now I am looking for a way to analyze those answers, and compare the answers of the group that saw message A versus the group that saw message B. Does anyone know how I can manage to do this? Much appreciated!

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

A couple of thoughts:

1. Since your data is already collected, you may need to export the data and then based on whether one message or the other was seen, flag the data and analyze it outside of Qualtrics. (This "seen/unseen indicator on Text-only questions used to be automatically part of the file export but I'm not finding it currently -- though also maybe that's because of the current tech issue with exporting data) but Support should be able to point you at it if not readily available).

2. If there is any other way of filtering the responses (any other variable within the survey responses), then you can then bucket or tag them so that you can analyze them within Qualtrics.

3. For future reference, it's easiest if you flag the groups as you assign people to them, rather than back into it later. Use branch/embedded data steps in the survey flow to both ASSIGN people to the groups but also FLAG which group they were in (Group=A or Group=B etc). Set that embedded variable as "Text Set" to maximize your analysis options within the platform :)

Leave a Reply