Apply skip logic to multiple items at once | XM Community
Question

Apply skip logic to multiple items at once

• 27 March 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Is there a way to apply skip logic to multiple items listed in a multiple choice question? For instance, in a list of 10 industries, only 1 is acceptable, the rest terminate. It is tedious applying skip logic to every single one of the options on the list. I know I could make it blah [ACCEPT] and Other [REJECT]  but I don’t want to make it too obvious which selection will allow the respondent to advance.

Suggestions, please?

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hi @ahughes9 ,

Yes, you can apply skip logic to multiple items listed in a multiple choice question in Qualtrics without making it obvious which selection allows the respondent to advance. Here's how you can do it:

1. **Create a Multiple Choice Question:** Start by creating a multiple choice question with all the industries listed as options.

2. **Apply Skip Logic:** Instead of applying skip logic to each option individually, you can use a combination of skip logic and display logic.

3. **Create a Hidden Field:** Add a hidden field to your survey flow. This hidden field will serve as a condition for determining whether to skip to the next question or terminate the survey.

4. **Set Up Display Logic:** In the display logic for each industry option, set it to show only if the hidden field does not meet the condition to terminate the survey.

5. **Set Up Skip Logic:** Add skip logic to the next question based on the hidden field condition. If the condition to terminate the survey is met, skip to the end of the survey. Otherwise, proceed to the next question.

By using this approach, respondents won't be able to tell which industry selection will allow them to advance, as the skip logic is based on a hidden condition rather than the specific industry choice. This method also reduces the need to apply skip logic to each individual option, making the process more efficient and less tedious.

Badge +1

This is a great suggestion! I have never used hidden fields and never really knew what they were for (I’m still kind of a Qualtrics newbie). I will give this a try.

Do you have any suggestions about setting it up as you describe? I’ll also give the documentation a read to see if I can figure it out (although sometimes the documentation makes me more confused… 😅)

Thank you so much for the advice!!

Leave a Reply