Block Randomization and Display Logic Issues | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hi everyone!

I have 64 blocks, each designed to test the fit between two brands (e.g., Gucci & H&M; Mercedes-Benz & Coca-Cola; etc.) with one single question. I used the randomizer option in my survey flow, limiting participants to view only 8 out of these 64 blocks.

For each of the 64 blocks I also applied a display logic, based on my first question, which asks if the participants are familiar with the brand (16 brands in total). Only if the participants state that they are familiar with the brand (“Strongly agree”, “Agree”, “Partly agree”) then they should see the corresponding blocks. In general, they should see 8 blocks with brands they are familiar with.

If I now click on preview and do the survey myself, sometimes I see 5 blocks, sometimes 3 and sometimes even just 2 blocks - However, the survey never displays the 8 blocks I chose to randomize, even if I state that I am familiar with all of the 16 brands. 

I understand if this is the case if the participants select that they are not familiar with the majority of the brands but I tried every option (e.g., selecting 4 out of the 16 brands which they are not familiar with - which still leaves enough options of 32 blocks to display). I also checked the display logic and even called customer service, but no success unfortunately :(

Here are some screenshots (sorry, they are in German):

@Saskia I feel your challenge is because of the skip logic and randomization together. Qualtrics randomizer is selecting 8 blocks but they are not matching with your skip logic and hence they are getting skipped. For example, for Gucci and product A, Qualtrics randomizer selected that block randomly however you have mentioned in previous question, you are not familiar.

Your blocks should be selected only if they are familiar. 

Try adding condition in survey flow and then check.

Thank you so much  @Jagdish! It finally worked 😍 I added branches in my survey flow and deleted the display logic. I really appreciate your help!

Hi @Saskia, I have a very similar issue with a survey I am currently scripting. I’m trying to use the randomizer to ask the brand attributes for 3 of 8 brands, but the brand attributes should only be asked if the respondents say they are aware of the brand at a previous question.

How did you set up your branch logic to make the randomizer work? There are such a large number of combinations for awareness of the 8 brands - do I have to set up a randomizer for every potential combination (and then lose ability to present elements evenly)? Surely not, as you had 64 potential brands to start with!

Any guidance you can provide is much appreciated! :-)

Leave a Reply