Directing respondents to a file based on responses | XM Community
Skip to main content

I want to direct respondents (my students) to a dataset based on his/her answer in a matrix question. Specifically, students will get a tailored datasets based upon their high school and last digit of their student ID. Since there’s 500 schools, this is about 5,000 different datasets that are possible.

Based on a brief search, it seemed like the authenticator was one way to go where I:

1. Upload a csv contact list with “ExternalDataReference” and a file’s web “Address” column. The external data reference column is simply a unique school name followed immediately by a 0 to 9 (the last digit of a student’s ID). This would be 5000 rows, and two columns.
  2. Get the school and ID answers from the matrix. ${q://QID2/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices} ${q://QID2/ChoiceGroup/SelectedAnswers}
  3. Set-up the authenticator to pre-fill with the piped answer: ${q://QID2/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}${q://QID2/ChoiceGroup/SelectedAnswers}
  4. Set embedded data to grab the web “Address”
  5. Finally, display the link to the respondent after authenticating (${e://Field/Address}).

My problem is that it won’t automatically authenticate, and I need to re-type the External Data Reference answer, verbatim, to get to the page displaying the hyperlink. This is too clunky.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong? Will the pre-fill not take piped text? Is there another easy way to upload a spreadsheet and accomplish what I am trying? I’m sorry but I don’t know any Javascript (but I’m happy to try).

@HEC It does automatically authenticate, you have made a minor mistake in authenticator configuration.

Just write Dataset and don’t pipe it in the prefill option.

Hope it helps!

Thank you Deepak!

Leave a Reply