Distribute Same Link via Qualtrics Mailer & SMS? | XM Community
Solved

Distribute Same Link via Qualtrics Mailer & SMS?

• 20 June 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

By default, the individual links the Qualtrics Mailer generates from a contact list are different from the personal links Qualtrics generates from that same contact list for distribution through other channels (e.g., SMS). So, if you contact a respondent multiple ways (which is common in research, especially with hard-to-reach populations), they get an individual link via email and a personal link through other channel(s). Sometimes, this results in a respondent taking the survey twice, once with their individual link and once with their personal link. This increases participant burden and generates duplicate responses, so it’s not ideal.

As a workaround, my colleagues have been generating personal links, adding them to contact lists, and piping them from contact lists into Qualtrics Mailer messages. Is this the best way to distribute the same link via the Qualtrics Mailer and other channels?

icon

Best answer by Deepak 20 June 2023, 22:06

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

@fvescia This has been an issue from long time!

The only workaround is to let both channels distribute their own individual links and post survey update the contact directory via XMD task for that date as response filled or any value. Use that value to screen out when he tries to fill via other channel.

Hope it helps!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks @Deepak! My colleagues realized their piped-text workaround doesn’t work – the Mailer doesn’t recognize a personal link as a survey link when you pipe it into a message, and it won’t send a message without a survey link – so we’ll go your route instead.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

There is another workaround, when you create an email distribution group, you can download the history of that group (Select Survey > Distributions tab > Email > above the table, right corner “Distribution history” link). This link will download a CSV file. That file will have a column called “Link” that contains the link used for the email distribution. You can reuse that distribution link for the other distribution methods. But you need to change the end of the link from &Q_CHL=email to &Q_CHL=(name of distribution method goes here).

Badge +1

There is another workaround, when you create an email distribution group, you can download the history of that group (Select Survey > Distributions tab > Email > above the table, right corner “Distribution history” link). This link will download a CSV file. That file will have a column called “Link” that contains the link used for the email distribution. You can reuse that distribution link for the other distribution methods. But you need to change the end of the link from &Q_CHL=email to &Q_CHL=(name of distribution method goes here).

Have you tried this recently? I’ve used the method you described for years, but recently, it looks like they’ve stopped exporting links for scheduled distributions. Qualtrics indicated that this wasn’t intended functionality. I’m looking for a new workaround!

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

@tservinsky, the last time I used it was August 2023.

Leave a Reply