Form field carried into matrix table data report | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hello! I made a survey question which (Q6) in a form field format and then carried forward those statements to the following matrix table Q7 which is depicted at the bottom. My question is, can I somehow get the text filled in in Q6 also displayed in the 'Field' tab from the following matrix question, which now depicts x13, x14, x15 etc. instead of the filled in value (here in the picture 'English' and 'Dutch') REPOST ACCIDENTALLY CLOSED OTHER
afbeelding.pngafbeelding.png

Here a great response I received from CamM! "Hi bestpwnz, in short, I don't believe this is possible to achieve through your current question setup. Even if it was possible, you would need to consider the inherent reporting challenges you would face when providing respondents with total control over what they enter into each field. For example, let's say that a handful of respondents indicate that they speak English. What would it mean for your reporting if one respondent enters the value as "English", whilst a second respondent enters it as "english" and a third enters it as "EN"? This would rapidly become a nightmare for your reports.
I think your best option would be to replace your Form Field question with a Multiple Choice question. You can provide standard options to cover the main languages you would be expecting your respondents to be selecting (e.g. English, Dutch, French, Italian etc), then if required, provide an "Other Language" option that allows free text entry. You can then carry forward those selections to your Matrix question, which would provide consistent values for reporting (with the exception of the "Other Language" option's free text).
Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Cameron"

I still had a question if there was an alternative to this possible? Instead of having a giant table with 5 columns, each 25 languages as the survey will encompass a wide variety of language speakers

Leave a Reply