How can I display a question 'in page' based on previous response OR an external reference? | XM Community
Question

How can I display a question 'in page' based on previous response OR an external reference?

• 19 September 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

Hi all,

I have a survey that will be sent with an external reference (?wesref=12345). This allows me to have a question with passed information that says:

Q1. “Your wes reference is 12345. Is this correct?”

• Yes
  • No

If they select yes the survey Q2 should not be displayed. If they select no, Q2 will display:

Q2. “Please enter your reference number.”

However, if the respondent ends up at the survey from the link without the external reference, I want to only display Q2. I’ve managed to get it work by having two instances of the second question, but when I click “in page” it reverts back to the single Question-based logic. Is there a way to set the display logic with Question OR Embedded Data and still have Q2 “in page”.

I hope this makes sense, it’s a bit hard to describe. My logic is below:

Thanks!

7 replies

Badge +30

Have you tried using ED Field External Reference as display logic.. 

EX: If the External reference is empty view Q2?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@lazarescu Inpage logic doesn’t have embedded data option. You can replace it with Q1 is not displayed. It’s equivalent to empty wesref in your logic

Let me know if it helps

Badge +2

@lazarescu Inpage logic doesn’t have embedded data option. You can replace it with Q1 is not displayed. It’s equivalent to empty wesref in your logic

Let me know if it helps

@dxconnamnguyen This logic works but

• If the ED is empty it adds a page break between the introduction text (Q4 in my screenshot) and asking the user to enter their reference number
  • If the ED is not empty and the user selects “No”, it adds a page break before asking the user to enter their reference number.

I assume what you mean by “Inpage logic doesn’t have embedded data option” is that there is not way to achieve what I really want to do which is have this logic all appear on a single page…?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@lazarescu Mine work just fine, you might want to check back your survey. Maybe set it up from the beginning

Case1

Empty wesref

Case2

Badge +2

@dxconnamnguyen I set it up again and it works now. Cheers!

Badge +2

@dxconnamnguyen Okay, I’ve run into another issue.

When I preview the survey, everything works fine. If I publish it and go to the url without the embedded data, it does not show Q1 (the intro text)… it just starts with Q3 (enter your ref).

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@lazarescu That shouldn’t happen. Do you have any condition, display logic, skip logic, randomization...etc… What’s your survey set up looks like. Give me a screen shot

Leave a Reply