Linking data from two surveys pre- and post-intervention | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hi everyone, a true Qualtrics newbie here with very little expirience and a dreading deadline.

I know I should’ve done this before, but I thought I’d just follow the instructions and it’ll work. But I get stuck at the last step.

So here is the situation:

• I have 160 participants divided into 4 groups by the type of intervention, the group is assigned in advance, they will be asked to confirm their groups in the survey
  • I need them to take a survey before the intervention and then after 5 weeks to take the same survey with 1or 2 extra blocks.
  • What I need is to see how their responses on the same survey have changed within thesee 5 weeks. Basically I want to see if every individual has a higher score or a lower score. And then of course to compare the groups with eacht other.

I thought I’d just use the pulling data option https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/common-use-cases-rc/pulling-data-into-a-second-survey-longitudinal-surveys/ 

But I get stuck at the last steps. I thought I'd just do the e-mail task, but it says 30 e-mailadresses only and I have 160, am I supposed to insert them manually?? XM Directory task - somehow I got stuck there too, I can’t figure out how to use it.

Am I missing something? Is there any other option to connect the two surveys together?

I don’t need the survey to be anonymous. I thought it’d be enough to just distribute them via the e-mail, as I know all the names and e-mails already. But do I maybe need to collect e-mails in the survey itself and then use that for connecting??

(Please be kind, I'm very tired, very stressed and I can’t think straight. I am supposed to send out the surveys next week and I still can’t figure out how to connect them).

UPD.

So I managed to set up two surveys and an e-mail task for sending out the second survey when the first one is completed. The e-mail task works! I guess I initially placed the embedded elements in the wrong order.

But now if I click on the link from the e-mail taking me to the second survey, it takes me to the page that asks me to log in and shows an empty field called RecipientExternalDataReference.

But I am not sending participants their Login ID’s. I assumed they would be assigned automatically and people would just need to follow the link. But it doesn’t work…

What am I doing wrong?

Hi @Dariana ,

Unless you have an unstated reason for doing so, if the pre- and post-surveys are the same or largely the same, I would just use the same Qualtrics project for both. You could use embedded data or timestamps to distinguish the pre- and post- results for each respondent.

I agree with @MatthewM.  I work in a school district and very often have Pre/Post assessments/surveys/etc. and we typically have a question in the survey to designate time period (each one is different depending on the needs:  Fall/Winter/Spring….Pre/Post...September/February/May, etc).  But also agree with the above comment, that a time stamp of Recorded Date can solve that same problem.

If you have additional questions in the Post than the Pre, and you indicate the time period as a question, you could do some formatting so that if Post is selected it shows those new questions.

Hi @Dariana ,

Unless you have an unstated reason for doing so, if the pre- and post-surveys are the same or largely the same, I would just use the same Qualtrics project for both. You could use embedded data or timestamps to distinguish the pre- and post- results for each respondent.

Thanks Matthew,

I will try to manage with the timestamps:)

Leave a Reply