Populating questions using embedded data | XM Community
Skip to main content

I have a unique issue to solve in Qualtrics and I’m not sure the best way to solve it, so I thought I’d ask folks here what might be a good solution.

I am collecting working hours per week from a list of about 100 survey recipients.

Each survey recipient works on multiple different categories of work, so I need to collect work hours per category of work (50 categories). The list of categories any person may work on changes over time, and new people may be added before the survey period ends. 

The easiest solution I can think of is to present a list of all 50 categories to each survey respondent, where they input their hours per category. However, this has proved difficult for the respondents, who often input hours to the wrong category because they can’t find their assigned categories easily from such a large list.

Is there a way to dynamically build this survey question using embedded data uploaded from an excel sheet in the Analysis page or contact list? The idea is to create the question text such that each survey respondent’s data reflects only the categories assigned to them, which would effectively “customize” the survey to each respondent after authenticating in the start of the survey using embedded data.

Hi @ArS 4256,
Your idea is exactly how you should do it in Qualtrics. You keep a contact list updated regularly that contain the worker categories as embedded data.

Follow this to set data from contact list: SettingValuesFromAContactList

Then you can use that data in the survey flow as condition for your display logic to show only the right question for the right person. Display Logic (qualtrics.com)

Hope this helps

I have it sorted. Bringing the Embedded Data into the flow means one can now refer to it by field name later on. To use it in a question, for example, you place your question block after the Embedded Data block and then pipe text into the question, where the piped text is the Embedded Data.

Then the question header can use the piped text, it may also be possible to use the piped text within the question itself (for example, multiple choice texts, not just the title).

@ArS 4256 You’re a fast learner 💪

@ArS 4256 Hello, I need to handle a case similar to yours. I would like to know how you set multiple categories in your contact list for a respondent, while 1 respondent may have more than 1 category.

Leave a Reply