Remove duplicate text entries to display only one in the side by side question | XM Community
Skip to main content
Solved

Remove duplicate text entries to display only one in the side by side question

• 23 July 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi everyone,

I am a newcomer to JavaScript, I'm seeking guidance on coding a solution for a specific issue. I aim to design a series of name input fields within a block of my survey, where respondents can enter the same answer in the Text Entry fields across various questions. For instance, they might input 'aa' for question 'friend' [PISID: QID21] and 'angry' [PISID: QID22].

My goal is to consolidate any duplicate responses from these text entry fields and present them as unique statements in a Side-by-Side question (specifically, QID18, 'How close are you to the following individuals?') within Block 2.

I've experimented with several display logic configurations, primarily utilizing 'AND' and 'Is Not Equal To' conditions with the piped text from previous text entry questions. However, applying choice display logic across all 18 form field questions has proven challenging.

Could you assist me in crafting the necessary code? Or perhaps offer suggestions to address this issue?

I've noticed that the requisite API may not be activated for my account, and I'm uncertain if its utilization is essential for the successful implementation of the code.

Thanks a lot!

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +17

Hi @Anastasia_psy. Let me help you with some JavaScript. The idea is to have something like this shown below. I reduced it to 2 questions 2 options for each to keep it simple as demonstration. The “Hidden Question” will not be displayed if you follow the code I will explain. It is only used as “pseudo” question to store the unique values for all the actual questions. Based on your screenshot, I assumed you work with some form field.

The outcome in the side-by-side question will be like this: 

To achieve the behavior described above, please follow my steps. 

1) Create one block containing your initial questions and the hidden question at the end. The hidden question must have (at least) as many input fields as all the previous questions combined. In my case it does have 4 options because the 2 questions before each have 2 options.

2) Add this JavaScript code to the hidden question so that it will not show up in the survey but can still be manipulated in the background: 

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function()
{
/*Place your JavaScript here to run when the page loads*/
var q = document.getElementById(this.questionId);
if (q) {
q.style.display = 'none';
}
});

3) Add some JavaScript to each of the questions before the hidden one: 

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnReady(function()
{
/*Place your JavaScript here to run when the page is fully displayed*/
var namesQ1 = document.querySelectorAll('#QID1 .InputText');
var namesQ2 = document.querySelectorAll('#QID2 .InputText');
var namesQ3 = document.querySelectorAll('#QID3 .InputText');
var namesHidden = document.querySelectorAll('#QID4 .InputText');

function updateNamesHidden() {
let combinedValues = [];

function addUniqueValues(inputs) {
inputs.forEach(input => {
const value = input.value.trim();
if (value !== '' && !combinedValues.includes(value)) {
combinedValues.push(value);
}
});
}

addUniqueValues(namesQ1);
addUniqueValues(namesQ2);
addUniqueValues(namesQ3);

namesHidden.forEach((input, index) => {
if (index < combinedValues.length) {
input.value = combinedValues[index];
} else {
input.value = '';
}
});
}

// Initial copy
updateNamesHidden();

// Add event listeners to update values
namesQ1.forEach(input => {
input.addEventListener('input', updateNamesHidden);
});
namesQ2.forEach(input => {
});
namesQ3.forEach(input => {
});
});

The code adds some listener to each of the inputs available to the participants. When one input changes, this is reflected to the hidden question. The code ensures that the same input value is only added once to the input value.

I already adjusted the code to consider 3 questions which collect names. Make sure to adjust the technical QIDs: 

var namesQ1 = document.querySelectorAll('#QID1 .InputText');
var namesQ2 = document.querySelectorAll('#QID2 .InputText');
var namesQ3 = document.querySelectorAll('#QID3 .InputText');
var namesHidden = document.querySelectorAll('#QID4 .InputText');

You find them via the dev tools of the browser: 

Temporarily remove the code from step 2 to get the QID for the hidden question as well. 

Based on my screenshot, the first line (in my survey) would need to be:

var namesQ1 = document.querySelectorAll('#QID58 .InputText');

Get some assistance of your dev team if you struggle with the dev tools. 

4. Add the side-by-side question in some additional block after the previously described questions: 

Use the carry forward choices setting to forward the answers of the previous hidden question. 

That’s it. Maybe there are other solutions as well, but this is the first that got to my mind. 

Hope I could help. 

Best
Christian

Badge +1

@chackbusch  

This has been working well, thanks so much for your expertise and patience !!! :)

Badge +1

Hi @chackbusch,

I'm currently working on a survey project where I need to ensure the data quality by allowing participants to explicitly enter 'none' as a response in our form field questions. However, I need assistance with a specific conditional display issue.

The requirement is that if the content of a hidden question is exclusively "none", the associated side-by-side question should not be displayed to the participants.

I've tried to implement a conditional check (value !== 'none') within the script, but it seems to only prevent the side-by-side question from showing the option "none" rather than hiding the entire question when all form field responses are "none."

Fig1. Adding an extra condition

In an attempt to resolve this, I've applied display logic to the side-by-side question itself. Unfortunately, this has resulted in the form field being displayed twice in preview mode, which is not the desired outcome and has led to further confusion.

Fig. 2 The setting of display logic

Fig.3 The form field text displayed again after entering the text “none” in the preview

Could you please offer some insight on how to effectively address this conditional display logic?  thanks again for your help.

Best,

Anastasia

Leave a Reply