Sharing Survey Links | XM Community
Question

Sharing Survey Links

• 6 April 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hello
I want to be able to have a unique URL link that a user can start to fill out and then forward to another user to complete and the data that was entered will be saved. I am using the anonymous link, then adding a "?" at the end of the URL followed by the Customer Name to make the link unique. For some reason when the link it sent to another person the data is not being saved?

Example - https://rockwellxm.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_1AjrqpqRwpzhPxz?GeneralMotors 

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I will add that when the original user who started the survey returns to the survey the data is saved.

Userlevel 4
Badge +19

Hi RyanBrickman,
Will the URL always need to be shared at the same point in the survey (e.g. an approval step once the first person submits)? If so, you might like to look at retake links. We do this with one of our forms - once the first person submits it, an Action generates a retake link via email (either to the first person, or to the second person as approver), and they can then access the link with the previous responses saved. We then also have display logic so that extra fields are only visible on the retake.
As far as I know, you can't simply add the ? followed by customer name in the URL - you will need to specify some kind of Embedded Data field for it. There's some more information available here but for example you might have your URL and then ?Customer=GeneralMotors - this tells Qualtrics that you have a field called Customer, with the value GeneralMotors. You will then need to tell the survey to capture this information (using Survey Flow). I still don't think this will allow different users to return to the same point in the survey though.
Another solution might be to use the Authenticator block in Survey Flow. You would need to have a contact list which has each Customer Name in the External Data Reference field, and then when completing the survey it will prompt the respondent with the authenticator - they can then enter the Customer Name and access the survey. This should allow anyone using the same authenticator (e.g. GeneralMotors as Customer Name) to access the survey as the same "user" and therefore see the same progress.
Wow this ended up as a huge message but hopefully there's some useful stuff in it for you!
Cheers, Ashleigh

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

The survey will not be shared at the same point. It will vary quite a bit on what information is filled out. Essentially what I am need to be able to do is have a sales/account manager fill out some of the survey and then forward the link to the customer to fill out other information. Then the sales manager will review and actually submit the survey once the customer is done. What feature/function is Qualtrics will allow sharing of a survey and have the information saved.
I have not been able to figure out embedding data or passing information information via query for the life of me, maybe what I am trying to do is a little out of the box.
Here is what I need in addition to sharing the URL that will retain the information. I need to be able to email the same user multiple URLs in a single day one for each customer and have each link be unique to that customer and allow the sales/account manager to have multiple in-progress surveys at once. I was hoping by adding the (?) and then the customers name (all manual) that it would create a unique link (which it appears it does) however it does not save the data when you share it. I think this might be cause it at its core is a anonymous link?

Userlevel 4
Badge +19

Thanks for the extra info Ryan! I definitely agree that the issue is the anonymous link.
Is there a reason you want to send multiple links in the same email? The solution I'm imagining would be that you have an anonymous link and you send that out, along with a list of the "Customer Name" values that the sales manager needs to work on. Then in your survey, you build an authenticator at the start of the survey and that's where you split the responses based on the "Customer Name" value. You can set it such that respondents have to authenticate each time they return to the survey (that will mean that each time they access it, they have to enter the Customer Name, and the survey will show existing progress there). This would work exactly the same for the customer - when the sales manager is ready, they simply send the customer the same anonymous link and the "Access code" which is actually the "Customer Name" from your contact list.
I also think the retake link solution could be a possibility for sending to the customer. The sales manager can fill in as much of the survey as they need to and then enter a customer email field at the end before they hit Submit. You then build an action in the survey that when the survey is submitted, you send a retake link to the email address in the customer email field. This will then show the customer everything that has been completed by the sales manager. You can have an additional question that only shows on a retake (display logic, display when URL contains Q_R) that says "Are you ready to return this information to the sales manager for review?". Then you build another Action such that if the survey is submitted and that question is marked Yes, it sends the retake link to the sales manager (perhaps with an embedded data field added into the URL to show they are the sales manager). Then when they submit it, that's the final version done! It means you will have three submissions (sales manager, customer and then final sales manager) but as a retake they should overwrite each other provided you have the settings correct and you then only report on the final submission.
Sales is not my area of expertise but just brainstorming based on ideas that I've used in our organization previously. You've posted in the Higher Education Community here so you might be limited in the responses that you get! It might be worth posting this in the general Qualtrics community to see if anyone in a sales context has come up with a similar solution before?

Leave a Reply