Slightly different versions of the same survey for 3 different groups, without having to merge data? | XM Community
Skip to main content
Question

Slightly different versions of the same survey for 3 different groups, without having to merge data?

• 5 March 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi all,
I want to conduct a survey for students, but most of the questions will be slightly different depending on if they attended school in-person, online, or a hybrid of the two. For example, there is a Survey Block about harassment, and in that Block...

• We'd ask the In-Person student"How often did you experience physical harassment at school?"

• We'd ask the Hybrid student, "How often did you experience physical harassment while attending school in person?"

• And we wouldn't ask the Online student about physical harassment at all

• But, all 3 students would get an identical question in that Survey Block about how often they experienced online harassment.

What is the best way to make this happen? I wanted to avoid having to create multiple surveys / ending up with multiple datasets. I also wanted to avoid having to merge multiple variables, if possible.
My plan was to create three different versions of each Survey Block (In-person, Hybrid, Online), and use Survey Flow to direct respondents to the appropriate blocks. But in the above example, is it possible do that and have Qualtrics return a dataset with one physical harassment variable, and one online harassment variable, each of which includes responses from all 3 groups? Is there a better way to go about this? Is this project just going to require merging responses (either variables or datasets) from 3 different groups?

Hi agezon ,
No need to make this complicated and break it into separate questions, blocks or surveys.
These two questions can be posed in one block to all three groups. Use the Piped text feature to differentiate the first question between in-person and hybrid students, and pipe from your email list. The question would be written "How often did you experience physical harassment [pipe text here]?" In your email list, have a column that has the last part of the text for each in-person and hybrid student. For online only students, you can use Display Logic to hide the question from them altogether.
The second question about online harassment could stand alone; no special programming needed.
Hope this helps.

Leave a Reply