Validating student id from a list but recording a different but associated id | XM Community
Question

Validating student id from a list but recording a different but associated id

• 20 April 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

We want to validate the student’s id prior to taking the survey but store a corresponding id.

The student id is not the unique key to their record, but it is used for all kinds of student rosters, etc. so it’s easy to find someone if you had their “public” student id. But the actual record_id is something different, that no one would know, only the database administrator.

So we’d like to validate the student id but record the record_id. So if you looked at the data in qualtrics, you wouldn’t be able to identify the person, unless you were the database administrator and looked up their student_id based on record_id.

This is a means of making the survey not 100% anonymous, but it’s a strong measure to make it basically impossible to identify the respondent, with appropriate language at the beginning of the survey.

So like this

Student_id      Record_id
-----------------       ----------------
241234            87439

The respondent enters 241234 and it’s validated but 87439 is recorded in Qualtrics.

This post helped but I’m taking it a step further.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Your requirement that nobody but the database admistrator has access to the student id, makes this a little more complicated. For using internal Qualtrics functions, you’ll need to store the student id in the survey, this will mean that it will be available in the data and analysis tab.

To get around this, you’ll need to call a server from the frontend, sending the student id and getting back the record id. This record id can then be stored in the survey data.

Here’s a demo of something similar: https://iima.au1.qualtrics.com/jfe/preview/previewId/00a1841e-33a5-49ae-a9c5-6934da853af4/SV_8HBDY4VRJnFn40J/BL_eM9ZMBp5FRuJMW2?Q_SurveyVersionID=current

Drop me a PM if you’d like to implement this.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Thank you!

I wasn’t thinking it would be overly complicated with a call to a server.

Can’t we load Qualtrics with a pick list of two columns? This column is student_id, which they enter and it’s validated against this. 2nd hidden column in the pick list is record_id which is then stored in Qualtrics.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

You could do that, but then you’ll have the student id and record id both stored in the Qualtrics survey and the data. If that isn’t a concern, then you can  ahead with your solution.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@ahmedA - great … but I kind of need a jump start on this … just point me in the right direction, I don’t need all the gory details … is the solution roughly similar to what I posted above?

Thx!

Leave a Reply