Using randomization within a block but trying to create groups of questions | XM Community
Skip to main content
I have a total of 16 multiple choice questions in a block. 4 of those statements have an open-ended follow-up question where if a respondent answers the question in a particular way and is part of a randomized group, the follow-up should appear and they can clarify why they answered the way they did.

I want to present the 16 questions in a random order, but I can't seem to find a way to group the 4 statements that have follow-up with their open-ended followup questions.

Right now I've set up 16 different blocks and added the open-ended follow-ups to the appropriate block and then I'm using a randomizer in the survey flow, but I have to think there's a better way to do this.

Can I create groups of questions within the block and then apply randomization such that each question (or group, if it has an open-ended follow-up) is randomized?
To be honest, I think you already found the best way to do it. I would build the blocks and then randomize there if you need the questions in a specific order.

You can randomize question order within a block, but not and then make sure Question 1 follows Question A, and Question 2 Follows B the way you're illustrating here.

It was complex to set up, I'm sure- but it sounds like you already did the hard part! Now just make sure the naming convention makes sense for your later analysis and you should be good to go.

Leave a Reply