How to: Longitudinal survey | XM Community
Question

How to: Longitudinal survey

• 18 April 2022
  • 1 reply

Hi Qualtrix people,
I'm creating a longitudinal survey, and I'm still a bit confused after going through all the posts.
What I'm doing:
A longitudinal survey, daily, over 28 days. Participants will initially complete a screening survey, which will either end the survey due to ineligibility, or ask for their email address.
From here, I'd like to take their email, and automatically send them a daily survey each day, for 28 days, tracking subsequent responses to the same person.
To complicate matters, the survey on day 1 will be a little different (containing basic demographic information) from days 2-28. There will be two sets of surveys, one condition, and one control. Participants will be randomly assigned (probably during the day 1 survey), but they will (obviously) also need to maintain their condition/control path over the 28 days. Participants will also be signing up over 2-3 months, so the start/end dates will vary individuals.

So... what I need to do/need help with:
-Use email provided in Screening survey to pipe into, and automatically generate participant email that will be sent that day. This email will contain a link to Daily survey 1.
-Daily survey 1 will randomly assign participant to condition or control.
-Once the participant completes Daily survey 1, trigger to send email the following day to Daily survey 2. Making sure email is piped in, and condition/control carries over.
-Once the participant completes Daily survey 2, trigger to send email the following day to Daily survey 3. Making sure email is piped in, and condition/control carries over.
-Repeat till day 28.
*All participant data will be linked to their email, so changes can be tracked.

Thanks so much!

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

There are a lot of ways to do this, but here's one:
Create you intake survey that determines eligibility like you said. Once that is completed create a workflow that immediately sends your Day 1 survey if the email field is populated.
Create the Day 1 survey that groups your participants (control or case).
Next make a survey for your Day 2 to 28 Survey. I would use the same survey for case and control groups, just use branching logic based on embedded data to change out the questions if need be.
Now in your Day 1 survey set up the 27 workflows that will send the survey on each day, day 2 through 28. In the workflow you can set it up to send a survey link however many days later. So it doesn't matter what day the survey starts on. For the link use the anonymous link for the Day 2 to 28 Survey and add query strings to send email, group, and day. Email to connect your responses, day to not have to use the dates to figure out what day the survey was for, and group to created the branching logic for the questions. https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-flow/standard-elements/passing-information-through-query-strings/
Make sure your embedded data fields match in all surveys.

Leave a Reply