Is there a way for survey languages to be selected based on website language (not browser settings)? | XM Community
Solved

Is there a way for survey languages to be selected based on website language (not browser settings)?

• 8 July 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

The survey in question is triggered by a CTA (anonymous link) and should be displayed in the webshop language, but currently this is not the case for some reason. I understand that by default, the survey language is set via the browsing language. In this instance, our customer expects the language to be set by the webshop language. I have read the support article on transporting information through query strings but I have been unable to fix the issue. I tried setting embedded data with q-language, but I have been unable to pull the correct information from the webshop it seems. Does anybody know the correct workflow for pulling the webshop language to set the survey language? PS The webshop language is usually set via the browsing language, but apparently not in all cases.

icon

Best answer by TomG 8 July 2022, 15:01

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

Use the url parameter Q_lang to set the language. Qualtrics language codes don't match ISO language codes so you probably need to change the codes. In most cases the difference is upper case (Qualtrics) and lower case (ISO), but in some cases (Chinese) the difference is more than that.
You can set the language in Qualtrics using JS, so you could pass the language in a different parameter and change the code on the Qualtrics side.

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

Hi sreichmann
So a couple of things to check:

1. Based on what I have learned from this community in the past, if you want the URL to pass through the default language as a query string, you need Q_lang  not Q_Language in that case, so that would be the first thing to try. URL?Q_lang=XX where XX is your language variable

2. If that doesn't help, the next thing would be to check that the webshop language is being passed as the ISO language code that Qualtrics expects (because if it is passing "French" or "Francais" or even "fr" when Qualtrics needs "FR" that isn't going to help you; you'd have to figure out how to get the other system to pass the correct language variable (or set up custom language versions in Qualtrics but that might be kind of a pain for you to have to manage).

3. And then of course, finally, you'd want to make sure that the translations you're testing for exist in your survey (like, if you have your survey default as German but also translated to English and French but you test Dutch (NL), then you're going to see the default language of German, not because it's not "working" but because there's no NL translation available to show. (That last one feels a little obvious to even point out, but I'm sure we've all encountered stranger issues.)

: )
I hope something there helps!

Badge

Hi both, many thanks for your help & suggestions! We are now transporting the language using the URL parameter (i.e., one URL for each of the six translations). There is indeed a mismatch between the ISO codes used by the website and what Qualtrics expects, but the survey language now seems to be set correctly. To clarify, our customer now uses a unique survey link for each of the six language versions of the website, so this seems to be kind of a workaround.

:)

Badge

Same customer, different survey, similar issue: One of the surveys is displayed via web intercept. Is it possible to apply the same strategy there if I want the survey to be displayed in the webshop language? As far as I know, in that case the default language would also be set using the brwosing language which is not what our customer wants. Would it also be possible to use JS to pass on the language in this instance, given that I do not have the option to simply create six different links in this case?

Leave a Reply