Create Segment of Contacts who have NOT Completed a Specific Survey? | XM Community
Skip to main content

Is it possible to configure a Segment to include people who have not completed a specific survey? It seems like using Segment would be more efficient and allow real-time updates instead of reviewing response data, distribution histories, etc. and comparing to an original list. 

Specifically, I have a survey that has an authenticator tied to it. The authenticator checks a contact list of employees (~3000 contacts). The survey is available via anonymous link, where folks are then authenticated before responding. The survey was also emailed to the same contact list. When we tested the survey, we found that if someone already completed it via the link, they were not sent an email; however, now that we launched the project, people are reporting having completed the anonymous link but also receiving the email invite. For this reason, we are not leaning on the email reminders since there are people who completed the authenticated anonymous link but received email invites (Qualtrics isn’t recognizing the email invite as complete, so they’re going to qualify for the reminder emails). 

The directory where this contact list is saved is sort of our “wild west” directory - there may be duplicate contacts. I’d like to create a segment that looks at the directory and compiles a list of contacts who have NOT yet completed the survey. I want to send a new email distribution to this segment. 

@JonesE I would not know how you could build it with the “Survey response” filter as you could always only segment those who DID participate. If you have not yet started your survey, you could add a web service at the start of your flow which creates a transaction for the contact, e.g. including the survey ID and some status “started”. 

Based on this, you could then define the segment similar as below (no response for the survey, but some transaction which describes that the survey was started by the contact). 

Best
Christian

Unfortunately the survey is launched and we received hundreds of responses prior to identifying this issue.

I tried building a segment that includes an embedded data field that is unique to the contact list + <1 response on the survey, but that’s returning zero contacts...which makes no sense to me either.

@JonesE Good that you have some embedded data field which identifies the contact list… But if you just filter on the embedded data it returns something? So the issue is the survey response filter? 

What about this (1 branch for each option = none of the options of the last questions was selected = not completed)? … Would only work if the last question is mandatory. 

Theoretically this would also exclude those how selected something for the last question and did not hit the next button to confirm but I assume this is some edge case… 

Best
Christian

Update! When I first created the segment, it didn’t populate - I checked back about an hour later and it seems to have an approx. correct number of contacts! I still need to spot check to ensure these are correctly pulled, but this query may have been the solution to my question!

Leave a Reply