Update an email address for a contact whose distribution has already been sent | XM Community
Solved

Update an email address for a contact whose distribution has already been sent

• 21 February 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

I distributed a survey and had some emails come back as hard bounces as their email address was incorrect. I am wondering what the “best way” to go about getting this corrected and the distribution set up for them as I want to resend the survey invite asap.

1-Do I update them on the contact list and then set up a new distribution for them?
2-Is there a way I can keep them on the current distribution and just resend their initial invite so that their reminders will be in sync with all other invitees.

icon

Best answer by MatthewM 21 February 2024, 20:15

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

There are two ways you can go about this, update their email id or delete the contact and create a new one.

For updating their email address, the fastest way would be use the Update Directory Contact Qualtrics API. The contact ids can be found by exporting the contact list. Alternatively, you could just update their email ids via the qualtrics contact list interface.

You could also just delete the existing ones and add the correct email ids as a new contact to the contact list.

Both of these will ensure that they are part of the future distributions, such as remiders etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

To answer your second question, since Qualtrics can’t selectively resend invites, what I usually do in this situation is manually resend the bounced invites through my organization’s email client to the updated email address, and update the email in my Qualtrics contact directory so that the reminders go to the updated email. This keeps every recipient in the same distribution cadence and eliminates the need to set up additional distributions.

To manually resend an invite through your organization’s email client:

• Send yourself a preview of the email invitation.
  • Update any personalized content for each recipient in the message, like name, organization, etc.
  • Insert the survey link into the message.
    • If your survey uses individual links, download the Distribution History to get the survey URL for each bounced email address, and copy and paste it to replace the survey preview URL.
    • If your survey uses anonymous links, copy the anonymous link from your Distributions tab and paste it to replace the survey preview URL.
  • Send the messages to each updated email address.

If you are a brand admin, you could set it up in the future so that copies of the invitations are bcc’d to an email address that you have access to. Then, instead of following the steps above to manually resend an invitation, you could just search for each one you need to resend and forward it to the updated email address.

Good luck!

Leave a Reply