Prior year’s responses prepopulated for the current year’s survey. | XM Community
Solved

Prior year’s responses prepopulated for the current year’s survey.

• 9 April 2019
  • 8 replies

We would like to make it easier for our respondents by having their prior year’s responses prepopulated for the current year’s survey. The survey has not changed.
Once a respondent authenticates to gain access to the survey, they should be able to see their responses to the survey questions from last year.
I have tried doing passing information via query strings.
For example:
Anonymous link: https://yourorganizationherename.co1.qualtrics.com/abc/form/AA_1A2AA3AaAAaAaAa
Query String: ?Q_R=${e://Field/ResponseID}&Year=2
So it looks something like this:
https://yourorganizationherename.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/AA_1A2AA3AaAAAAaAA?Q_R=${e://Field/ResponseID}&Year=2

Since there is an authenticator, it should be possible to send one link to all respondents.

Please advised. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for reading this inquiry.
icon

Best answer by PeeyushBansal 10 April 2019, 04:51

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +33
You can add previous year responses to new contact list and store these in embeded data and then pipe same in your survey.
Hi bansalpeeyush29,

Would it be possible to walk me through it? I'm a novice to Qualtrics at the moment.

Thank you for the reply.
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
Add columns in your contact list that you are using for distribution, say for example email id in below screenshot answere Agree for Q1 in 2018 so store this answer in your contact list. like below:-
!

And in your survey where you have to pipe responses use code like below

Your response for year 2018 is "${m://Q1_2018}"
Hi bansalpeeyush29,

Unless I'm misunderstanding, and there's a high probability of that, this is going to create a large contact list due to the numerous questions in the prior year's survey. There are about 140 questions from last year's survey.

Thank again you for the reply.
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
Yes file will look large but it is easy to append data in csv list and than piping in wave 2 survey.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Hey, @dataccny! Just wanted to jump in here and say that you may find the Q_PopulateResponse page helpful, as this describes how you can use a URL parameter to pre-populate survey responses. Feel free to reach out to our Support Team if you would like help setting this up! 😀
@KendraR Thanks for the suggestion and link! I'll look into it.
Badge +1

dataccny I realize this was from 2019 but did this work out for you? Any advice or tips? I'm trying to do the same thing now - send out an annual survey from 2020 , showing respondents their answers from 2020 and asking how would they answer this year.

I'm totally new to this and trying to figure out what I do, how it appears, etc.
For example do I copy the 2020 survey as a new 2021 survey? Or do I reuse the 2020 survey?
Do I have to embed data for every single question? I have 262 questions and each question has 2 answer rows! But I would like for respondents to see their past year answers.
Also, does it then show as the 2021 answer is already selected? Or does it pipe in the words like "this is what you answered last year"?

Leave a Reply