Adding JavaScript to the End Message in order to track clicks on external links | XM Community
Question

Adding JavaScript to the End Message in order to track clicks on external links

• 7 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Dear community, 

I found a solution how to track clicks on external link when it is included in a question (e.g. here  https://community.qualtrics.com/custom-code-12/where-can-i-find-whether-participants-clicked-on-a-link-or-not-13806). 

However, I would like to track clicks when the external link is included in the end message.

How can I include the following JavaScript to the end message?

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function() {

jQuery('#extLink').click(function(event) {

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData("clicked", "1");

jQuery("#NextButton").click();

});

});

Will adding Embedded Data: clicked = 0, in the Survey Flow, before the end message containing the external link work? 

Thank you in advance for your helpful comments!

Best, 
Kor

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

You can add the script to the EOS message by putting it inside a <script> tag.  However, it isn’t going to work because you can’t update an embedded data field after the survey had been completed.

Userlevel 6
Badge +27

Adding on comment by @TomG, you can use update response API in the JS to first update the response and then redirect to required website. 

Badge +1

Thank you @TomG and @Shashi for your suggestions. 

@Shashi, could you please elaborate more on using the API? I have never used it and would appreciate more explanation.

Thank you!

Best, 
Kor

Badge +5

I would love to know how to use the API also please @Shashi!

Leave a Reply