Lock a question on screen after it is answered / Carry forward default choices | XM Community
Solved

Lock a question on screen after it is answered / Carry forward default choices

• 20 February 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Q1 is a multiple select question.

Once the question is answered, I want that question and it’s responses to remain on the screen as a reference for the questions ahead, without the respondent being able to change the initial response.

I tried doing this by creating multiple copies of Q1, putting them on top of all questions without page breaks and disabling the checkboxes using JS.

However, this seems really inefficient and I was also unable to set the options selected in the original Q1 as default in all the copies.

Could anyone help out with either the overall task or just setting the previously selected choices as default for all copied questions. 

Thanks

icon

Best answer by TomG 21 February 2024, 15:17

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hello @mugheeshay

Currently, within the platform, it is not possible to prevent respondents from changing their initial response once a question is answered using system settings. However, I recommend utilizing the 'Auto Advance' feature so that once a respondent answers, they are immediately taken to the next question and you can remove the 'Back Button' to ensure they cannot go back and change their answer.

Regarding your other question about keeping the question and its responses visible on the screen as a reference for subsequent questions, you do not need to add a multiple-choice question on every page and use carryforward choices. Instead, you can add a Text/Graphic question and rephrase the question text as follows: "For the question ('Your Multiple Choice Question' text), you have selected the following choice:" Then, using Pipe text, add the selected choice from the multiple-choice question. It will resemble the screenshot below:

Let me know if this helps.

Badge +1

Hey @Sachin Nandikol,

Thank you so much for your reply.

Sadly piping in the selected choices isn’t exactly what I was looking for.

However, if you could help me with the carrying forward of selected multiple choice as default answers in the questions ahead that would be great. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hello @mugheeshay

I recommend considering JavaScript as the easiest solution for your requirement. Alternatively, you can also use my suggestion of 'Piping' in a Text/Graphic Question.

Another workaround involves a bit more manual work. Here's how you can set it up:

1. Add your multiple-choice question in one block.
2. Place subsequent questions in different blocks, each to be shown on different pages.
3. Copy the multiple-choice question as many times as you have choices. For example, if there are 5 choices, copy the question 5 times. Set one choice as the 'Default Answer' in each copied question.
4. Add display logic to each copied question based on the selected choice. For instance, if Choice 1 is selected in the multiple-choice question, show the first copied question which has Choice 1 as default answer, and so on.
5. Repeat this process for each subsequent block without adding page breaks in between.

This approach requires duplicating the multiple-choice question for each choice and setting up display logic accordingly. While it may involve some manual effort, it can achieve the desired outcome.

Let me know if this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

@mugheeshay,

Assuming you haven’t recoded the question, you copied it, and you aren’t using Simple layout, use this JS on the copied questions (replace QIDx with the QID of your original question):

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function() {
var qobj = this;
jQuery.each("${q://QIDx/SelectedChoicesRecode}".split(", "),function(i,val) {
qobj.setChoiceValue(val, true);
});
jQuery("#"+this.questionId+" [choiceid]").prop("disabled",true);
});

Badge +1

Thanks @TomG,

You’re a legend.

Leave a Reply