Piped response from one survey to another survey | XM Community
Solved

Piped response from one survey to another survey

Badge +3

I have survey 1 and survey 2. Last page next button of survey 1 triggers Survey 2. In survey 1, for Q1, participant has to select Accept or Reject and the choice will be appear in Survey 2-Q1, i.e., in Q1 of survey 2, it will say “You have selected ACCEPT (or REJECT)” for Q1. Can somebody please suggest how to do it? 

icon

Best answer by nroot 14 July 2023, 01:47

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Pass the answer as a query string in the URL to survey 2 (https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-flow/standard-elements/passing-information-through-query-strings/), then add it as an embedded variable in survey 2, leaving the value blank. It will pull the value from the query string and you’ll be able to use the piped value in survey 2 like any other embedded variable.

Badge +3

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I tried this method but it is not working. Below are the steps I followed. I think I made a mistake but not sure in which step. 

1. I have 5 answers in survey 1 that need to pass to survey 2.
  2. Survey 2 link is a query string similar to the link (not the actual link):            https:/.qualtrics.com/?Q19Answer=${q://QID102/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}&Q20Answer=${q://QID103/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}&Q21=${q://QID104/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}&Q22=${q://QID105/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}&Q23=${q://QID106/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}.
  3. The above Survey 2 link is set at the “end of page  of Survey 1.” 
  4. I created 5 imbedded variables in Survey 2, leaving the value blank and moved them to the top of survey 2 in the survey flow. 
  5. I published survey1 link and it shows survey 2 but does not show the accept or reject values I selected in Survey 1 for the 5 questions. 

Please let me know where I made the mistake. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +33

The pipe in the choice of first survey Q1 into next survey URL as prameter and paste that URL under ender of survey custom link option.

Then in next survey create embedded field with same name of URL parameter and that data wil auto captured. If you want punch the value under close end question. Then write JS and use that embedded field to select respective choice.

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I tried this method but it is not working. Below are the steps I followed. I think I made a mistake but not sure in which step. 

2. Survey 2 link is a query string similar to the link (not the actual link):            https:/.qualtrics.com/?Q19Answer=${q://QID102/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}&Q20Answer=${q://QID103/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}&Q21=${q://QID104/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}&Q22=${q://QID105/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}&Q23=${q://QID106/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}.
  4. I created 5 imbedded variables in Survey 2, leaving the value blank and moved them to the top of survey 2 in the survey flow. 
  5. I published survey1 link and it shows survey 2 but does not show the accept or reject values I selected in Survey 1 for the 5 questions. 

It’s hard to tell without seeing your code where the mistake is, but let’s figure out whether the error is in Survey 2 or Survey 1. Can you type in pretend values to your link, and then see if the pretend values show up in Survey 2?  E.g. start Survey 2 with the link “qualtrics.com…?Q19Answer=Test1&Q20Answer=Test2” etc. etc. See if “Test1” shows up where you expect in Survey 2. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +33

Hi,

Seems like your suvey link is broken. Your link is started with "https:/". It should be https://.

If it is just a dummy link and then it's fine. You can do one thing. You can pipe all the variables value at one embedded field and pipe that field with your second survey link in end of survey note.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I have survey 1 and survey 2. Last page next button of survey 1 triggers Survey 2. In survey 1, for Q1, participant has to select Accept or Reject and the choice will be appear in Survey 2-Q1, i.e., in Q1 of survey 2, it will say “You have selected ACCEPT (or REJECT)” for Q1. Can somebody please suggest how to do it? 

Hey, Can you please let me know how to trigger the next survey using the next button?

Badge +3

@ArunDubey 

Hi, 

I am sorry, I am new to Qualtrics and a bit confused by your answer. Can you please explain step by step procedures to do the same?

Also, What do you mean by “next survey create embedded field with same name of URL parameter”? 

Then write JS and use that embedded field to select respective choice: Do I need to a JS as well? Currently, I don’t have any JS. 

Thank you so much. 

Badge +3

@nroot 

Thank you again for your reply. Yes, I tried survey 2 link with pretend values but they did not appear in the expected place of survey 2. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +33

@nroot

Thank you again for your reply. Yes, I tried survey 2 link with pretend values but they did not appear in the expected place of survey 2. 

It seems like you don’t have to punch questions in survey 2. So please ignore JS concept. Lets focus on sending data from survey 1 to survey 2.

First create one embedded field in survey flow beginning (before all blocks of survey).

Then after Q23 question block, pipe in all the values under “URLParameters” variable.

example of output:

End of survey at Survey 1 completes will look like. Do not pass any additional & or ? before piping embedded field in redirect URL as it’s already passed in piping value. Refer above screenshots.

Try this and test it properly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +33

Make sure to create embedded fields in survey to as well which you are passing in survey URL. e.g. Q19Answer, Q20Answer etc. Once value will be piped, data will be captured by itself in Survey 2.

Badge +3

@ArunDubey 

Hi, Thank you so much for the reply. I kind of mixed your answer with @nroot’s answer. And now it worked. Below are the steps:

1. Survey 1: 2 questions with options Accept or Reject that needs to pass to Survey 2. Let’s say participant select -------------Survey1_Q1: Accept, Q2: Reject.
  2. Survey 2: 2 statements similar to “For Q1 in Survey 1, you selected Accept” , “For Q2 in Survey 1, you selected Reject”. The value of Accept, Reject etc. depends on what people select in Survey 1. 
  3. Published Survey 2 link. Example: https://qualtrics.com/mNoP (Not the actual link, just an example)
  4. https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-flow/standard-elements/passing-information-through-query-strings/#PassingInformationIntoASurvey:  Modify Survey 2 link by following step 1 to step 7 under “TO PASS INFORMATION FROM A SURVEY” of the above given link.  Now survey 2 link is: https://qualtrics.com/mNoP?Q25Answer=${q://QID1/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}&Q26Answer=${q://QID2/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}.             where ${q://QID1/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices} is the piped text of Survey1_Q1 answer.
  5. Add the above Survey 2 link at End of Survey 1--->Redirect to URL
  6. Survey 2--→ Survey Flow--→ Added 2 embedded data fields at top with names Q25Answer, Q26Answer. [https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-flow/standard-elements/passing-information-through-query-strings/#PassingInformationIntoASurvey---→ Check Passing Information into A Survey Section]
  7. Survey 2----→ “For Q1 in Survey 1, you selected ${e://Field/Q25Answer}”                          (Click piped text-→ embedded data field-→ Click the dropdown--→ Select Q25Answer)
  8. Publish Survey 1.

Now,  when I open Survey 1 Link it starts from Survey 1 Q1 and ends at the last question of Survey 2. It fetches Accept/Reject values from Survey 1 and appears in Survey 2. 

But, there is still one issue: Instead of showing only ACCEPT or REJECT it shows <span><span>ACCEPT</span></span>.

Any idea why it happened? 

Thank you both @nroot and @ArunDubey

Badge +3

Hey, Can you please let me know how to trigger the next survey using the next button?

Hey, I made a mistake. I trigger the next survey using END OF SURVEY--- Redirect to URL option. But I am trying to do it using the Next button. If I can do it, I will post it here.

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

@nroot

In that case (if the values aren’t appearing in Survey 2 even when you enter them manually) it seems like your problem might be in survey 2.

If you directly fill in the embedded variables with pretend values (filling in the blanks in the Survey Flow) rather than passing them as query strings in the URL, do they appear in the correct places in Survey 2?

• If the pretend values appear in Survey 2 when you put them into the survey flow, but not when you leave them blank in the survey flow and pass them through the URL, then the issue is with your URL formatting - perhaps with the formatting of your “?x=” vs “&x=”.
  • If the pretend values still don’t appear in Survey 2 even after you put them directly into the survey flow, then the issue is your piping code in your question.

A maybe silly third possibility - have you been publishing your changes? Is it possible that you are being passed to an old version of the survey?

Badge +3

@nroot

In that case (if the values aren’t appearing in Survey 2 even when you enter them manually) it seems like your problem might be in survey 2.

If you directly fill in the embedded variables with pretend values (filling in the blanks in the Survey Flow) rather than passing them as query strings in the URL, do they appear in the correct places in Survey 2?

• If the pretend values appear in Survey 2 when you put them into the survey flow, but not when you leave them blank in the survey flow and pass them through the URL, then the issue is with your URL formatting - perhaps with the formatting of your “?x=” vs “&x=”.
  • If the pretend values still don’t appear in Survey 2 even after you put them directly into the survey flow, then the issue is your piping code in your question.

A maybe silly third possibility - have you been publishing your changes? Is it possible that you are being passed to an old version of the survey?

Thank you for the details. Everything is working fine now. There is just one issue as I mentioned before. 

Instead of showing only ACCEPT or REJECT in survey 2, it shows <span><span>ACCEPT</span></span>.

Any idea why it happened?

Anyway, thank you for the help.  

Badge +3

@nroot

Hi, 

I just have one question, if you would like to answer. Can I pass descriptive text from survey 1 to Survey 2 using the query string approach? I followed the same approach, just added one extra variable (Q85Answer=${q://QID120/QuestionText}) to the Survey 2 link and piped Q85Answer to survey 1. It shows error. 

Leave a Reply