What is the difference between answer choiceText and description? | XM Community
Solved

What is the difference between answer choiceText and description?

• 11 January 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

When I call the /surveys API endpoint I can see that answers have both a choiceText and a description, and they appear to be usually the same value, but I can find no documentation explaining what the difference is between these two fields or if it’s possible to edit one of them separately from the other (which would be nice because then changing the text of an answer wouldn’t nec. have to be a breaking change). I don’t see a way to edit any other answer fields in the survey builder UI.

What is the difference between answer choiceText and description?

icon

Best answer by Shashi 11 January 2024, 17:38

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +27

Choice text is the text respondent see and description is variable naming of the option.

Badge +1

Choice text is the text respondent see and description is variable naming of the option.

Thank you!

Badge +1

Actually, I’m not sure if that’s right, because the surveys/ API endpoint returns 3 fields for answers: choiceText, description, and variableName. ChoiceText and description are always the same. Sometimes variableName is the same; sometimes it’s null.

Userlevel 6
Badge +27

Actually, I’m not sure if that’s right, because the surveys/ API endpoint returns 3 fields for answers: choiceText, description, and variableName. ChoiceText and description are always the same. Sometimes variableName is the same; sometimes it’s null.

If for the question variable naming is enabled then variableName will not come null.

Badge +1

My question is still unanswered. There are three fields, but only 2 known functions of these fields.

• choiceText - the text respondents see
  • variableName - this is the name that you input if variable naming is enabled
  • description - what is this?

Surely description and variableName don’t do the same thing.

Leave a Reply