Adding a link into a question response? | XM Community
Question

Adding a link into a question response?

• 20 September 2023
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

So I work at a college as an advisor for students. Sometimes when I meet with a student, they ask for really specific resources available to them. While meeting with student, I’m required to complete a document outlining what I spoke to the student about. The issue that I run into is if the student needs specific resources, I’m wondering if there is a clean way to add hyperlinks, or clickable link in a question’s response field so that when I submit the form, its sent to them with all the links intact. Right now, I have to write down all the resources separately, then send them the form and a separate email with links attached. Which is typically lost or misplaced. Please let me know if there is a way to do this. Not sure if it would require the question to include rich text or not. 

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Em Brace You can chose RichContent Editor and insert Link with the chain link bottom right icon. Work with both survey question and answer choices

Hope this helps

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I understand that is something i can do already. What im teying to do is make the response a rich text reply. Cerrently there is only the option to make the text response "single-line", "multi-line" and "paragraph" and none of those allow for survey responders to add rich text to their replies. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I understand that is something i can do already. What im teying to do is make the response a rich text reply. Cerrently there is only the option to make the text response "single-line", "multi-line" and "paragraph" and none of those allow for survey responders to add rich text to their replies. 

That’s text entry. You can paste link, URL or whatever you want but it won’t be in hyperlink that clickable. They still need to copy paste it in browser.
You can set up workflow that send email automatically to prevent lost or misplace resources.
Email Task (qualtrics.com)

Userlevel 6
Badge +39

Hi  @Em Brace 

How are you sending your report? Is it a response summary, in an email task, other?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

@vgayraud yes, thats exactly right. The survey has a trigger after the advising appointment is done to send to the advisor that met with the student, and send to the student and email with everything they spoke about. But if you include links, some of these links are super long and make the response email far more difficult to read or navigate. Here is an example below (I just made this up, not an actual student 😅): 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

@dxconnamnguyen my next question would be, would the email task include the links from my survey as hyper links even though they were text entry questions? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@dxconnamnguyen my next question would be, would the email task include the links from my survey as hyper links even though they were text entry questions? 

You already did it with the response summary. So no lost or misplace links

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

if you include the link in <a> tag that should resolve your issue. something like this <a href="URL will go here">any text</a>

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

@Imran_Ansari this was what I got in my email with the response summary so I don’t think the html line works in a text response:

@dxconnamnguyen I’m convinced that I’m not explaining my issue correctly. I don’t have any issues with adding links into questions for the survey. I also don’t have any issues with adding links to emails. What I would like to happen is while a recipient is completing the survey that I created, if they add a link in their response, it sends me a clickable link OR they can use a rich content editor in their survey response to add a hyperlink to text in their response. Thats what I’m trying to build. 

@vgayraud  I hope that clarifies things for you as well. Please let me know if you have any other thoughts. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Imran_Ansari this was what I got in my email with the response summary so I don’t think the html line works in a text response:

@dxconnamnguyen I’m convinced that I’m not explaining my issue correctly. I don’t have any issues with adding links into questions for the survey. I also don’t have any issues with adding links to emails. What I would like to happen is while a recipient is completing the survey that I created, if they add a link in their response, it sends me a clickable link OR they can use a rich content editor in their survey response to add a hyperlink to text in their response. Thats what I’m trying to build. 

@vgayraud  I hope that clarifies things for you as well. Please let me know if you have any other thoughts. 

No, it won’t be hyperlink, it’s gonna be text

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

@dxconnamnguyen So there is no possible way to make this happen? Just want to double check before I move to an alternative. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

@Em Brace,

If you are using an email task (or trigger), you can pipe the links into the email html. Let’s say QID1 is the question, “Here is a scholarship you can apply for”, and the answer is a url.  You can put something like this in the email:

<a href="${q://QID1/ChoiceTextEntryValue}">${q://QID1/QuestionText}</a>

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

@TomG I like that idea, but it seems that I would then need to make a separate question just for URLs and links that I want to send students. I would also need to code the question to be able to add additional links rather than 1.  Still I feel like that is the closest we’ve come to solving my issue. I have a work around, I was just trying to avoid using it but it seems that will likely be the best alternative. 

Thanks everyone. 

Leave a Reply