getting rid of space in a multi choice question | XM Community
Question

getting rid of space in a multi choice question

Badge +2

Hi I have a multi choice with 35 answers and an Other Please Specify and None of these.  The spacing is off.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  Thanks!

6 replies

Badge +2

adding image here:

Badge +2

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

OK, the trick to that is the open end. What you want to do is to adjust the randomization/order settings to FORCE “Other” to be at the bottom of the “longest” column. In a case like the one you are showing, I would force “Other” to the bottom of column 1 and “None” to the bottom of column 2.

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

@caradorf - You might be interested in the mcTextEntry function. It places the text entry box inside the choice button, which would fix your issue. It can also be set to hide the text entry until ‘Other’ is selected.

You also might be interested in the mcColumns function. It automatically adjusts the number of columns based on window size and is compatible with mcTextEntry.

Badge +2

I put the JS in the header and put what’s below on the Question I need it on, but it’s still not working for me . am I doing something wrong? The choice box just says Other and has a text box right now

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function() {    mcTextEntry("Other", { placeholder: "please specify" });});Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnReady(function() {    /* Place your JavaScript here to run when the page is fully displayed */});Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnUnload(function() {    /* Place your JavaScript here to run when the page is unloaded */});
Userlevel 7
Badge +27

I put the JS in the header and put what’s below on the Question I need it on, but it’s still not working for me . am I doing something wrong? The choice box just says Other and has a text box right now

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function() {    mcTextEntry("Other", { placeholder: "please specify" });});Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnReady(function() {    /* Place your JavaScript here to run when the page is fully displayed */});Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnUnload(function() {    /* Place your JavaScript here to run when the page is unloaded */});

You would need to get the mcTextEntry function code. Contact me by private message if interested.

Leave a Reply