Help with data export setttings | XM Community
Question

Help with data export setttings

• 15 March 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hi everyone! I am working on getting our survey out and the team member that will be cleaning, analyzing and reporting on the data sent me a few notes. Here is the note I am having trouble resolving:

• for items like Q2 and Q3 (select all that apply), the data appears to be coming in a single column, with all of the selections separated by commas.  For cleaning, we can use text separators, but they look for common delimiters like commas.  Since we also used these in our parenthetical descriptors, that makes it tougher to do the standard cleaning.  If we could have these all in their own variables (like they are for Q5, which shows up as Q5_1, Q5_2, etc for the first row of Q5, the second row of Q5, etc), that would be great.
  • The full list of such items (select all that apply) is Q2, Q3, Q10, Q11, Q12 and Q13 (these are select up to 3, but the same idea for storing the data would apply), Q17, Q18, Q28, Q32, Q33**, and Q34

I reached out to customer support to ask for a solve - they told me to use this video to make the change after the data is exported:

“export your data and select that your multi-select questions be broken down into individual columns. This screen recording shows you how to do this: https://share.zight.com/yAuBg24z

The reason they gave was:

The reason it is working for Q5 is because it is a Matrix table. Multiple choice multi-select questions will appear in the Data & Analysis table as is.

Customer support has been a great help - I am not doubting their advise - but wanted to see if anyone here had a solution to have this happen before the export. Thanks!

Below are screenshots of Q2 and Q5 for reference.

Q2

Q5

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi. When you export the data, have you tried selecting “Split multi-value fields into columns” option?

Badge +1

oh! No I have not. Let me see if that works.

Marta

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

This is a helpful thread. Does anyone know if there’s a way to just change the delimiter? I have a similar problem but I don’t necessarily need to split it into multiple columns (although that might be easier).

Leave a Reply