Set a maximum score for a matrix question | XM Community
Solved

Set a maximum score for a matrix question

• 26 April 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Hi all!
For a current survey I would like to have a question with 5 statements which can be answered with a value between 1 and 5 (either with a matrix with 5 columns OR as an alternative I thought of a matrix with just 1 column and one text box per statement to fill in a number between 1 and 5). You can see the two possible options on the screenshot below:
image.pngHowever, I would like respondents to assign up to 15 points in total. I cannot use a "Constant sum" question as they would have to insert exactly 15 points - in my case it could be less or equal 15.
Does anybody know how to do that? Do I need to use JavaScript for that? I would be super thankful for every info you can give me!
Thanks a lot and kind regards

icon

Best answer by bstrahin 26 April 2022, 22:00

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

LisaK25 you can create a loop in the survey flow to achieve this.
Some logic, an embedded data field that sums the responses and display logic and you are all set. Upload the attached .QSF file to see all the details (look at the Survey Flow and Q5 display logic). You should have these two questions contained in their own block for easiest application.
Scoring.qsf See this article for importing help: https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-tools/import-and-export-surveys/

Badge +1

bstrahin wow thank you very much for providing me with a solution and the .QSF file, that works perfectly! :)

Badge

LisaK25 you can create a loop in the survey flow to achieve this.
Some logic, an embedded data field that sums the responses and display logic and you are all set. Upload the attached .QSF file to see all the details (look at the Survey Flow and Q5 display logic). You should have these two questions contained in their own block for easiest application.
Scoring.qsf See this article for importing help: https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-tools/import-and-export-surveys/

Hello Bstrahin! I have the samilar question as above. I can not open or download the .qsf file you posted, how can I obtain it? I really want to see the logic to solve my problems.

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

@Yuchao17 - There is no need for loops. You can do this with custom validation on a constant sum question. If there were three choices your custom validation condition would be something like:

If Choice1 Is Less than or Equal to $e{ 15 - q://QIDx/ChoiceNumericEntryValue/2 - q://QIDx/ChoiceNumericEntryValue/3 }

Badge

@Yuchao17 - There is no need for loops. You can do this with custom validation on a constant sum question. If there were three choices your custom validation condition would be something like:

If Choice1 Is Less than or Equal to $e{ 15 - q://QIDx/ChoiceNumericEntryValue/2 - q://QIDx/ChoiceNumericEntryValue/3 }

Thank you very much for your reply! I attached my question:

I ues the Constant sum to design it. What I want to achieve is that each trait can be allocated up to 10 points, and the subjects have a total of 40 points for allocation. For example, assuming they allocate 40 points to four of the traits, then the remaining traits can only be 0 points.

Where I can write the code you suggested? Or what are the detailed steps for setting uo the Custom Validation?

Many thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

@Yuchao17 - The first choice (Ambitious) should be less than or equal to 40 minus all the other choices.  You have to replace QIDx with the actual QID of your question.

Leave a Reply