Survey Response Workflow: Response data not translated | XM Community
Question

Survey Response Workflow: Response data not translated

• 22 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hello everyone,

I’m running a multilingual survey with US English (Base language), German and Japanese. As the reviewer does not speak German nor Japanese, I would like to display survey response data only in English in the response summary regardless of the input language. However, it does not work as intended. Please find below the overview of my workflow setting:

Workflow trigger: Workflow starts when a survey response is received

• What do you want to look for?: Newly created response.
  • Select what language to receive response data in: Resolve translations into another language (English (US))

Task 1: Email task

• Email is sent out to a certain group of people.
  • Email body contains response summary using piped text.

Task 2: Microsoft Excel task

• Survey response is added to an excel worksheet as defined. 

Although I’ve set up that all the data (except free text comment) will be displayed English (US) to be displayed, I found Japanese and German in the response summary in the email and excel worksheet. Does anyone have any idea what is missing/incorrect? Your advice will be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Miho

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hello @MihoSato

To ensure that the survey response data is displayed in English regardless of the input language, you need to set up your workflow correctly. Here's how you can do it:

1. In your workflow trigger, make sure you've selected "Newly created response" as the event that starts the workflow.

2. In the "Select what language to receive response data in" section, choose "Resolve translations into another language" and select "English (US)" from the dropdown menu. This will ensure that the response data is translated into English.

3. For your email task, ensure that the email body contains the response summary using piped text. This will dynamically pull in the response data in English.

4. For your Microsoft Excel task, make sure that the survey response is added to the correct Excel worksheet.

If you've followed these steps and are still seeing responses in German and Japanese, it might be due to the fact that the "Resolve translations into another language" option only applies to closed-ended questions (i.e., questions with predefined answer choices). Open-ended responses (i.e., free text comments) will still appear in the language they were entered in.

If you need to translate open-ended responses, you can use the Translate Text Responses feature. This feature allows you to translate comments in the Data & Analysis tab, making it compatible with Text iQ, response editing, data exports, reporting, and CX Dashboards.

Let me know if this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi @Sachin Nandikol , thank you for your reply.

Please find below I assume that I had set up my workflow correctly but it does not work as intended..

I know that this function does not work for open ended question (free text comment) as you suggested, but at least for closed question (survey respondent select predefined answer options), the response should be displayed in English.. 

Workflow trigger

Email Template

Excel Worksheet

Leave a Reply