Display logic in email invitations? | XM Community
Question

Display logic in email invitations?

• 2 April 2019
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Hello everyone,

I'd like to distribute a survey email invitation in which the text of the email varies based on the embedded data in the contact list. For example, if the contact list variable "interests" had the value of "cats," the email invitation would display a block of text about cats, but if that variable had the value of "dogs," the email invitation would display a block of text about dogs. FWIW, the contact list in question will be created by a contact list trigger from a survey that is basically a data entry form for staff.

Any ideas about how to do this? I'm thinking of a pretty clunky and limited solution in which I create an embedded data variable like "text string" that is always displayed in the email and, to continue the cat example, would have a value like "We see you're interested in cats! Check out resources at cats.com."

Thanks for the ideas!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I think you hit the best way on the head: create an embedded data piped text area and have the value set using branching logic when you find out what they're interested in (via the other survey that the staff uses to capture the data).
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Thanks, jpardicusick! That's definitely the back up plan, but it falls short when it comes to formatting, hyperlinks, etc. My first choice is to have a whole block of HTML display (or not display) based on embedded data values. Conceptually, very simple! But tricky to pull off in Qualtrics.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
@NickVEIC Alternatively, you can use a different email service that has better capabilities for that sort of thing and just use an exportable survey link from Qualtrics as a token in that email. That's what we do 😀

Leave a Reply