Dyadic Survey | XM Community

Dyadic Survey

• 11 December 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hi - I'm new to Qualtrics and have been struggling a bit but have managed to find answers for most of my doubts online. Now I'm stumped.
I'm doing a dyadic survey - to employees and then to their managers/supervisors. The employee enters their own email address (which is their identification) and selects (I've given them a drop down list to select from) their supervisor. Then I send the supervisor a different survey where they rate the employees who have named them as their manager,
My question is for the supervisor/manager survey. Can I send the employee's email address embedded in the survey link so that when the supervisor clicks on the link he/she sees a message that says "You are rating xxxx employee who indicated that you are their supervisor"?
Not sure I've explained the issue well.
Any help would be much appreciated and gratefully received.
Thanks so much
Kiran

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/23286/dyadic-surveyYes you can do that just include the value in an embedded data and while creating the workflow to send the supervisor survey. You can query that parameter along with the embedded data. Add the same embedded data as piped text on the supervisor survey where you would like to show it as well as in survey flow to record.For e.g
Surveylink&Employee=ABC

Badge +1

Not sure I understand. Are you saying I can send a variable in the form of "embedded data" along with the survey link?

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/53192#Comment_53192Yes, you're correct.
https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-flow/standard-elements/passing-information-through-query-strings/#EmailLinks
The method show in above link can be applied to email invites as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

Kiran you can build this into one survey with a workflow and retake link. I have attached a .qsf and screenshots. This will put the employee's and supervisor's response into one record. There are two catches

1. you need to create branching logic for each supervisor to get their email address to trigger in this setup (not sure if that's reasonable).

2. the supervisors will see the screen "flash" when they first start the survey

However, this is all doable without Javascript and limited programming knowledge.
Build your Survey in 2 blocks: (1) Employee input, (2) Supervisor input
image.pngEmployee block
  • Has a timing question with display logic ResponseType=supervisor and settings: Auto advance after 0.01 seconds

• Question to collect and verify email address

• Dropdown to select the supervisor

Supervisor block
  • Whatever questions you want. I put in one illustrating piping in the employee email

image.png
Survey Flow
image.pngStart with Embedded Data fields to set variables empEmail and ResponseType from URL
Then show the Employee block
Use branching logic to decide whether or not to set the empEmail and Response type:
  • If empEmail Is Empty then empEmail = piped value from the question and ResponseType=employee

Then use branching to assign the supEmail (supervisor email address appropriate for the supervisor chosen from the drop down).
Next, if the ResponseType was assigned to employee the survey will end. Otherwise it shows the Supervisor block and then ends the survey.

The last thing you have to do is set up a Workflow
  • image.pngApplied when a response is submitted

• Checks that the ResponseType equals employee (otherwise it should not run)

• Then sends an email

In that email, we are piping the email address as supEmail and building a SurveyRetake link:
anonymous_link_URL + "?Q_R=${rm://Field/ResponseID}&Q_R_DEL=1&empEmail=${e://Field/empEmail}&ResponseType=supervisor
Employee_to_Supervisor.qsf

Leave a Reply