Email task prompted by administrator edit to response? | XM Community

Email task prompted by administrator edit to response?

• 7 February 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +3

Hello, I would like to be able to prompt an email to be sent when I, as the administrator/survey creator, make an edit to one of the questions on a submitted response - is this possible?
Basically I'm thinking of adding a reference number manually to a question at the start (when the response has been reviewed) and then would like to receive a PDF of the response by email (as the email response summaries are more concise than the responses you can download from Data & Analysis). I can't see an option to do this, but wanted to check I'm not missing something/another way of doing this.
Thanks in advance!

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +24

rrmamson ,
Interesting use case. I may need more direction to provide you the help you are looking for.
Typically, the questions are finalized before the survey is deployed. You mention you are "making an edit to one of the questions" on a survey that already has a "submitted response". Is that correct?
Or is it possible you meant you want to send an email when you make a change to one of the answers on a submitted response? (Just checking on this first...)
I am also not totally understanding the need for a reference number to a question at the start. I am also a little unclear on whether you want to receive this email or whether you want your survey respondent to receive an email. Can you clarify your use case?
Thomas

Badge +3

ThomasW_IronMountain thanks for your reply.
I want to change one of the answers to submitted responses (by adding reference numbers to each but that's just a detail). I want to receive the email myself, purely because I want to be able to download the concise version of the response summary from there.
Hope that makes sense, grateful for any advice!

Userlevel 5
Badge +24

rrmamson ,
If you want to receive the email of the survey response you can do that using a "Workflow" Here is more information on setting up a Workflow in Qualtrics.
Workflows Basic OverviewSpecifically you are going to want to create an "event based" workflow when someone finishes a survey. Then you will want to set up a condition for a finished survey. Then you will want to create a task to send an email to yourself whenever anyone completes a survey. I have done this many times and it works terrific. Let me know if you have any questions about this part.
I am still a little confused about the "changing the answers by adding reference numbers to each" but perhaps that is something Qualtrics can do for you automatically in the Survey Flow area of the platform. Note as well that every completed survey is going to have a unique "Survey ID", perhaps that will work for your need?

Badge +3

ThomasW_IronMountain thanks I had already set up a workflow to do as you suggest, but it only seems to work for new survey responses as you say, whereas I want it to be triggered when I edit a response as the administrator. Do you know if there is a way to do this that I've missed?

Userlevel 5
Badge +24

rrmamson ,
Thanks for the clarification! If you are making the response in the same way I would, that is using the Data & Analysis screen, then no. I do not know of a way to trigger an email when editing a response in that area. Even if this functionality existed, which I do not believe it does, it could be problematic if you bulk edited responses.

Leave a Reply