Looking for advice on an alternative Workflow Task solution | XM Community
Solved

Looking for advice on an alternative Workflow Task solution

Userlevel 7
Badge +30
  • Level 6 ●●●●●●
  • 1055 replies

Hello Community!
I'm curious if anyone has come up with an alternative to delivering individual response summaries and results for selected questions by email tasks in Workflows.
Here's the requirement. I have a series of projects where I need to deliver alerts to others in my organization when a survey is submitted. Some are condition-based (for instance, when the respondent indicates on the survey that a contact person has changed, it triggers a message highlighting the specific change), while others are "always on" (a full response summary is sent).
In previous data collection cycles I've used email tasks in Workflows to deliver these alerts. But we've run into two challenges.
1. The volume of emails is more than the recipients prefer to manage.
2. More problematic: emails are not being delivered because my organization's spam protection and the Qualtrics servers do not communicate with each other, and this causes Qualtrics to flag valid email address in my organization as undeliverable, for no apparent reason. Worse yet, there is no notification to me, as the survey owner or the brand admin, when this occurs, so the emails fail silently. Worst of all, both Qualtrics and my organization's spam protection service say there is no fix for this.
I need to work around this limitation, so I'm wondering if, instead of delivering this information by email, there is some way to save the email alerts and response summaries as files that can then be shared internally. I've looked at the other types of Workflow Tasks available in my account, but none of them are comparable to outputting the responses in the same reader-friendly format that response summaries and email alerts do. Has anyone ever come up with a different way to output and deliver survey summaries and the message content of email tasks when a response is submitted?

icon

Best answer by MatthewM 16 June 2022, 17:14

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

We have found that some teams prefer to have access to a Public Report (e.g. Results report, inclusive of just the key information points, with a password protection) that they can periodically access to get a real-time summary of the data points they need vs a 1:1 notification process.
That said, the new "results" dashboards do not (currently) include this capability, so you would need to be using the "old" results - reports pages and you would need to be aware that this capability is not yet included in the "new" results pages (so make sure you provide feedback to Qualtrics so that they ensure that capability remains once they convert us all over to "new").

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

You can perhaps save these as tickets in Qualtrics and assign them to appropriate team/group for viewing. Alternatively (or additionally), push these into your CRM - for us it's Salesforce - so we are looking to create tasks for anything that requires actions, and are already pushing actual responses as Survey Response record that's associated to contact/account/any other object needed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/46955#Comment_46955Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, a summary report isn't going to display the individual responses in the way the recipients need them presented. Basically, what we need is, when Respondent A meets a condition, send their answers to Question 1 to the respondent's manager for review. I appreciate the reply, however.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/46961#Comment_46961Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately our Qualtrics license doesn't include tickets, unless I'm overlooking that existing functionality somewhere. The CRM solution is interesting, but my organization is probably two years from that. I'm looking for something that can go live this August. I appreciate the reply, though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

OK I see. I was envisioning that the answer to Q1 would likely be a text field (eg with their new contact info), in which case it's possible to add fields to the table for "Q1 answer", to also add either Embedded data (Company name, etc) or question responses, to round out a tabular summary. But it sounds like that won't meet your specific use case.

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

MatthewM ,
Instead of having the workflows send email messages you could have them call (a) web service(s) to handle the alerts. The web service(s) can be customized to your exact needs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Thank you Tom. The web service call will require support from our IT group, and likely require more lead time than we have for this year's data collection cycle, but it's good to have a direction to point them to for next year. My conclusion is that there is not an existing solution that would enable me to do this by myself.

Leave a Reply