Working on a fair registration but the results are almost useless because of the use loop and merge | XM Community
Question

Working on a fair registration but the results are almost useless because of the use loop and merge

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

The survey works great for the input information but the results are bad when you want the information to check off the people and the animals. What this person wants in excel is the reg name beside every animal that they are bringing and have the listing by Species and Class. All the Species have questions that were done using loop and merge so they are listed in 4 or 5 columns which we need to be in one column. Attached is how the data looks now and how she would like it.
For Linda Qualtrics.csvFor Linda How I want it to look Qualtrics.csv

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

That's just the way it is with Qualtrics, for better or worse. We use Loop & Merge in a few projects, and our data analysts have to download the data and transform it in Excel, SAS, or another tool to stack the L&M columns.

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

Your issue isn't specific to loop & merge. Qualtrics always records data as 1 row per response. So whether you used loop & merge or separate questions you would have the same issue. There are a couple of different solutions:

1. Normalize the data after the fact. Basically repeat (or automate) the process you used to for "How I want it to look"

2. Separate into two different surveys - one to collect the respondent info and a second to collect the info for each registration. The second survey can be repeated multiple times. It is fairly tricky to set up. In the first survey you would create a contact with respondent info and redirect to the second survey. The second survey would use an authenticator with automatic authentication to bring in the respondent info. At the end you would have a "enter another registration" question. If yes, you would redirect back to the second survey again.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

TomG I forgot I was talking about excel because my mind always goes to the word reporting to achieve the desired look. However, this user prefers Excel. I told her we could hard code the workflow she receives on a daily basis to achieve the desired look, but she wants excel so she can sort multiple ways.

Leave a Reply