The randomization of statements that need to be ranked | XM Community
Question

The randomization of statements that need to be ranked

• 3 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

For a research project, I wish to conduct a survey among participants regarding mental healthcare. Specifically, I intend to ask five questions, each requiring respondents to rank four statements from 'extremely important' to 'less important'. These four statements represent four different forms of care. Thus, there are a total of 20 statements. My aim is to provide four statements in each question that represent the four forms of care, enabling me to determine which form of care participants prefer. For example, if a participant consistently selects a statement representing the first form of care across all five questions, I know that the participant prefers form of care 1.

I want to randomize the statements for each form of care within each question. How can I do this?

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +21

Hello @MdS,

You can randomize the statements for each form of care within each question by using the "Choice Randomization" feature in Qualtrics. Here's how you can do it:

1. While editing your survey, select the question you want to randomize.
  2. Click "Choice randomization."
  3. Select "Display choices in a random order." This will randomize all choices.
  4. Click "Save."

This will ensure that the statements for each form of care are presented in a random order for each question. 

If you want to have more control over which choices are randomized and which are always displayed in the same location, you can use the "Advanced Randomization" feature. This feature allows you to categorize your choices into different categories such as "Fixed Display Order", "Randomize Choices", "Random Subset", "Randomly Reverse Choices", and "Excluded Items".

Let me know if this helps.

Badge +1

Thank you for your response!

Randomizing between items of a question is achievable. However, it is not precisely what I am looking for yet.

Specifically, I aim to have four subsets per question (= the four types of care), where within each subset, five statements are represented. I want the randomization to be applied to the five statements per subset. Therefore, for each question, one statement per type of care should be included, and that one statement must be randomized.

To illustrate further:

Question 1) Rank from 'extremely important' to 'less important'.

• Type of Care A) 1 random statement from statements a, b, c, d, e of type of care A
  • Type of Care B) 1 random statement from statements a, b, c, d, e of type of care B
  • Type of Care C) 1 random statement from statements a, b, c, d, e of type of care C
  • Type of Care D) 1 random statement from statements a, b, c, d, e of type of care D

Participants rank the care types A, B, C, D based on the statement that is randomly presented, and they do this five times, allowing me to determine which care type they implicitly prioritize after the fifth question.

I hope this clarifies my question?

Leave a Reply