Autofill the answer of a question based on answer of previous question | XM Community

Autofill the answer of a question based on answer of previous question

• 12 January 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

Hello all. Is it possible to autofill the answer of a question based on the answer of a previous question? I have uploaded a screenshot. For example, all the respondents who choose tennis as a favorite sport, the answer of the next question will be autofilled with 'Roger Federer', without answering the question. The question will appear to other respondents who did not choose tennis as a favorite sport
Thank you :)
Capture556.PNG

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +16

Hi Appostolos,
yes you can achieve this by writing the below code into the question you want to set automatically
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function()
{
let selectedRecode = Number("${q://QID1/SelectedChoicesRecode}")//answer from the previous questions
let setAnswer;
if (selectedRecode == 1){
setAnswer = 1 // Recode you want to set
}else if(selectedRecode == 2){
setAnswer = 2
}else if(selectedRecode == 3){
setAnswer = 3
}

this.setChoiceValueByRecodeValue(setAnswer,1)

});
Hope this helps

Rudi

Badge +3

Hello Rudi, thank you for your answer. Unfortunately it does not work for me. I have no knowledge of javascript though. The whole idea is respondents who choose Tennis in question 1, they won't need to answer question 2, they will be directed to question 3 but their answer in question 2 will be autollfilled with choice 1 ('Roger Federer'). All the other respondents who choose Football or Volleyball, they will answer the question 2 and they can choose anything they want.

Thank you very much anyway

Userlevel 4
Badge +16

Hi Apostolos,

for skipping the question you need to insert this.clickNextButton()

Best regards

Rudi

Badge +3

Thank you Rudi

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/42907#Comment_42907I came across the same issue and the only difference is that my question 1 is a multiple response question, meaning respondents can select "Tennis" along with other options. However, as long as "Tennis" is selected, these respondents won't see question 2 and their answer in question 2 will be autofilled with choice 1 ('Roger Federer'). " I adjusted your codes to be like below but it still doesn't work and everybody would skip question 2 no matter what they choose at question 1. How can I fix the codes? Thank you very much!
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function()
{
let selectedRecode = Number("${q://QID10/SelectedChoicesRecode}")
let setAnswer;
if (selectedRecode == 1){
setAnswer = 1
}

this.setChoiceValueByRecodeValue(setAnswer,1)
this.clickNextButton()

});

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

jmaddoxRudi Apostolos99 Li_zh TomG
did you get this sorted in the end? i.e working for multiple choice question repopulation?

I have tried the solution posted above to no success, I have posted some new issues identified on this post: https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/22392/how-do-you-get-the-embedded-data-from-coded-questions-to-populate-a-follow-up-survey#latest

Leave a Reply