Customize internal links to PDFs | XM Community
Solved

Customize internal links to PDFs

• 29 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

Background: Following the helpful instructions in this post, I’ve embedded PDFs in my survey by uploading them to my library and referencing them using the HTML editor. I want to randomly show people one of several PDFs, so I put the  file path in the loop and merge table, and set up my HTML code to reference the loop and merge field to get the path; something like this: 

src="${lm://Field/1}"

This all works well. The issue that I am encountering is that I’d like to have several dozen possible PDFs that I can show respondents. Right now (for our smaller pilot version), I’m just going into the library and copying the URLs by hand and pasting them into the Loop and Merge table. When I have an order of magnitude more URLs to copy in, this will get less feasible. Does anyone have any ideas on ways to speed up this process? I’d ideally like some way to preserve the names of the PDFs that I upload into the URLs, so I can reference them more easily in the Loop and Merge table (my PDFs are named 1.pdf, 2.pdf, 3.pdf ,4.pdf, etc. so if the names were preserved in the URLs, I could easily generate a list of all the URLs that I should have and paste that into the Loop and Merge table all in one go).

icon

Best answer by Nikeeta 29 April 2024, 16:09

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Unfortunately, the URLs generated by Qualtrics do not preserve the original file names, so they can't be easily generated or predicted. You'll need to manually copy each URL.

1. Upload all your PDFs to the Qualtrics Graphics Library.
  2. To obtain the URL for each PDF, click the gear icon in the bottom right corner of the PDF thumbnail and select "Copy URL".
  3. Paste the URL into your Loop & Merge table.
Badge +2

Thanks, Nikeeta! This isn’t a big deal, but I don’t see a gear icon (I’ve actually been getting the URL by embedding the PDF using the Rich Content Editor and copying the src from the HTML view). How do I get this from the library?

Thanks for your help.

Leave a Reply