How to I ask "How Long"/Duration Questions--not date based but numeric based | XM Community
Skip to main content
Question

How to I ask "How Long"/Duration Questions--not date based but numeric based

• 4 May 2021
  • 1 reply

So most of my questions are along the lines of "how long did you spend..." or "how long did it take..."
I'm not really interested in dates. I want answers in formats like "4 months" or "1 year, 3 months, 2 days".
Right now I'm using the old Qualtrics editor so I can use the "form" Text Entry type question and I have four boxes labeled "years", "months", "weeks", "days".
But I would rather drop-down boxes much like the Calendar-Date questions I can import from the Questions Library in the Demographics folder. I have one question where I ask participants to enter a "start" and "end date" but that's not really ideal. And the text box entry also leaves more room for data input error. The date drop downs work but I don't want people to level the survey if they don't know exactly what date. I would just rather they could say "5 months".
Would there be any way to edit the current options in the Demographics library or create a sort of scroll or drop down with just numbers beside or under the words "years", "months", "days".
Thanks in advance

I see two ways to do this:

1. You can add the calendar/date question from the demogrpahics library to your survey and click edit the scale points.

2. You can use a slider question

Leave a Reply