Pipe dynamic text | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hello everyone,
This is the first time I use Qualtrics and I have a tricky (at least to me) question which I really can't get solved by myself. After trying many times, I thought I should try my luck here with the pros. I would really appreciate your input.
I have one matrix question with 12 statements/ items and 4 options (code 1-4), then in the next question, I need to pipe one of the statements in the question text, if code either 1,2,3 is selected for those statements. I also need to make sure these 12 statements are on the least fill basis so aiming to show either of the statements equal amount of time. If this is not clear, you can see the two questions below.
I tried to go with the less smart way by creating 12 questions in 12 blocks. Each question contains a different statement and a filter for those who could see this question (i.e. code 1-3 for this statement), then I randomise 12 blocks and only show 1 block. But this doesn't seem to work.
Could you point me in the right direction, please? Thanks for your help!

Q1: For each of the following product groups please tell us whether you feel they have become healthier, unhealthier or haven’t changed in the last 5 years.
Please select one option only for each product
STATEMENT
A.    Confectionery (e.g. chocolate, candy)
B.    Sweet snacks (e.g. biscuits, cakes, desserts)
C.     Savoury snacks (e.g. chips, kerepok)
D.    Cereals (including breakfast cereals)
E.     Pre-packaged Ready-to-Eat meals
F.     Non-alcoholic drinks (carbonated and non-carbonated drinks)
G.    Dairy products (e.g. milk, cheese)
H.    Frozen desserts (e.g. ice cream, ice pops)
I.      Oils and fats (e.g. vegetable oils, butter, margarine)
J.      Dried foods (e.g. rice, noodles)
K.     Dried fruits and nuts
L.     Sauces and Seasonings
SCALE
1, Healthier
2. Less healthy
3. No change noticed
4. I do not purchase these

Q2
RESPONDENTS TO BE ASKED ABOUT 1 CATEGORY PURCHASED AT Q8 (codes A-L) AND ANSWERED EITHER CODES 1,2 OR 3)
PLEASE SELECT A CATEGORY PURCHASED AT Q8 ON A LEAST FILL BASIS. AIM TO GET AN EVEN SPREAD OF CATEGORIES PURCHASED FROM CODES q8=A-L)
When choosing (INSERT CATEGORY PURCHASED AT Q8) in a supermarket, how important are each of the following to you?

It seems at first this is something that could be done with a loop and merge. I thought that initially too, but making in random and only those who have purchased. What you will need to do create a randomizer in your survey flow which will randomly present all 12 items. You first have to present the 12 items with an IF Branch to make sure it has been purchased. An Or statement would work in this case. Follow the IF Statement with one of your 12 questions and follow it up with a End of Survey element or if needed the rest of the survey. Repeat this 11 times and you will end up with a survey that will randomly present the 12 items in a random order, but Skip the ones which do not purchased and Booting you from the survey once you have passed one of the conditions. Follow? I will follow up with a link to the preview and what the survey logic looks like once I get it running.
P.S. Also I would build in logic to weed out those who haven't purchased anything.

Here is the Preview Survey: https://feedback.digikey.com/jfe/preview/SV_cHHyJfhI3roLFcy?Q_CHL=preview&Q_SurveyVersionID=current.
image.pngI am sure someone could do this using js, but I like to go vanilla as much as possible as I am not a js guru. You could even have it present two or more options instead of one. You just have to add a counter and an another IF statement.

Leave a Reply