Timing the availability of the "next" button in a survey | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hello,
I'm wondering whether there is a way to make it so that the button allowing participants to proceed to the next page in a survey isn't available before 10 minutes have passed.
I want to create a break in the middle of my survey and guarantee that participants won't be able to proceed to the other half of the survey before 10 minutes have passed from the moment they entered the break page.
Thanks in advance!

Sure! You'll want to use the Qualtrics Question API .hideNextButton() with a delay of 10 minutes and then the .showNextButton() (rather than the .clickNextButton() as in the example).
image.pngThis example is pulled straight from that Qualtrics documentation link above, but beware that the delay parameter is in milliseconds, not seconds (needs to be 5000 to be a 5 second delay), so their example is slightly faulty

Oooo, even better than hiding/showing, there are enable/disableNextButton() functions I forgot about. This way, the user will still see the Next Button and not think it's a mistake, but they won't be able to click it until your 10 minutes have passed. As long as you call out that they won't be able to to click it for 10 minutes (or even add a visible stopwatch counting down from 10 minutes), you'll be golden.

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/41549#Comment_41549This helped very much! Thanks a bunch!

Leave a Reply