Two versions of a question with week apart | XM Community
Question

Two versions of a question with week apart

Badge +1

Hi,

I have a question concerning using Qualtrics for my experiment. In the experiment I want to compare the results of two questions. The questions are framed in a slightly different way. I would like every respondent to answer the question in a survey and then answer the other version of the question a week later. Preferably it would be randomized who gets which question first, but it is important that they will get the other question 1 week later. Is there a way do this?

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @Oscar_db 

mabey this will help you

1. Create your survey questions: First, create the two questions you want to compare in your survey. Let's call them Question A and Question B.

2. Set up randomization: In your survey flow, create a block containing both Question A and Question B. Then, add a randomizer element before this block. Set the randomizer to distribute respondents evenly between the two versions of the questions.

3. Set up contact list: Import or create a contact list containing your respondents' email addresses. Ensure that each respondent has a unique identifier.

4. Schedule emails: Create an email task in Qualtrics to distribute your survey. When scheduling the email task, set it to send out emails at two different times, one for each version of the survey. For example, you could schedule one batch to go out immediately and the other to go out a week later.

5. Customize survey links: In the email task settings, customize the survey links so that each respondent's unique identifier is included in the URL. This will allow you to track which respondents have completed which version of the survey.

6. Set up embedded data: Use embedded data to track when each respondent completes each version of the survey. You can create embedded data fields to record the date and time when each survey link is clicked.

7. Create branch logic: Use branch logic to show respondents the appropriate version of the survey based on their unique identifier. For example, if a respondent clicks on the survey link from the first email batch, they should be directed to the block containing Question A first, and vice versa.

8. Remind respondents: You can set up reminder emails to encourage respondents to complete the second version of the survey if needed.

Badge +1

I think I am not completely understanding your explenation yet. How do I give each respondent a unique identifier? And how do I then check with this identifier which version of the survey they must get?

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

ADMIN NOTE: This answer contains AI generated content that may or may not be accurate. For additional questions, contact @AlonsoC 

Hi @Oscar_db 

To give each respondent a unique identifier and track which version of the survey they receive, you can use Qualtrics' embedded data feature along with contact list customization. Here's a more detailed explanation:

1. Set up a contact list with unique identifiers: When creating or importing your contact list into Qualtrics, ensure that each respondent has a unique identifier associated with them. This could be an ID number, email address, or any other unique identifier that you choose. This identifier will be used to track each respondent's progress through the survey.

2. Customize survey links with embedded data: When setting up your email task to distribute the survey, customize the survey links so that each respondent's unique identifier is included as embedded data in the URL. For example, if your unique identifier is an ID number, your survey link might look like this:

ruby

Copy code

https://your.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_123456&ID=${e://Field/UniqueID}

In this URL, ${e://Field/UniqueID} is replaced with the unique identifier of each respondent when the email is sent out.

3. Record respondents' progress with embedded data: Create embedded data fields in your survey to record each respondent's progress. For example, you could create two embedded data fields: one to record whether Question A has been answered and one to record whether Question B has been answered.

4. Use branch logic to determine which version of the survey to show: In your survey flow, set up branch logic to determine which version of the survey to show each respondent based on their unique identifier and their progress. For example, you could use conditions like:

• If respondent's unique identifier is even, show Question A first; if it's odd, show Question B first.
    • If respondent's unique identifier matches a certain pattern or range, show a specific version of the survey.
  5. Update embedded data based on respondents' progress: As respondents progress through the survey, update the embedded data fields to reflect which version of the survey they have completed. For example, if a respondent completes Question A, update the embedded data field for Question A to indicate that it has been answered.

Leave a Reply